Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,491 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Anyone Heard Of "Plant Therapy"

11 years ago 0 424 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It is good for anyone who loves to garden!
It is also very theraputic..
We have started a salad garden in our back yard,and love it!
Bren

11 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs:  Yes, at my mother's nursing home they had courtyards for each wing of the building.  These courtyards were filled with lovely flower beds and trees, benches to sit on, table and chairs, swings with canopies, all sorts of places to sit and relax and look around.  There were sunny places and shady places available.  There were birdfeeders too.  The really neat thing they all had was one or two large raised beds for plants which the residents could reach in wheelchairs or walkers.  They could help plant in the spring, water and anything they wished to do to help.  And the courtyards were safe as no one could just walk away, especially Alzheimers residents.  I used to bring my dog (which they welcomed any time) into the courtyard and bring my mom there for a visit.  

Sunny

12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,
I was going to take a course in gardening, and found out the instructor is credentialized, to my surprise.  "Recreational therapists" work in nursing homes, and apparently gardening has internships at some of the long term care "models of excellence", where master gardeners teach others to connect with the earth, and I guess, with each other
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wonder if anyone has heard of a way of helping seniors feel better through gardening.  It's used in long term care/nursing homes?

Reading this thread: