Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Books that help(ed) you

12 years ago 0 118 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Books that I have read Mental Health Through Will Training by Dr. Abraham Low, this was the start of pointing of where I found I had distorted thought when I had no idea about negative or false thoughts.

The full Catastrophe living, Jon Kabat Zinn. I have to admit I read this book about 2 years ago and threw it to the side. Then I have recently picked it up again after 2 years of self discovery. Now I understand everything he was trying to tell me when I first read the book. I find myself in the premise of the whole book and this is what I try to look for in a book. If I can identify with what it saying and it suggest things to do that address my perceived problem right now then I will try to use it.

I know what your are think that there are books out there that I have not read and do not identify with now but could teach me things. I agree and it may be like my fist experience with Jon Kabat Zinn that i through the book to the side and come back to it realizing all the things it was telling. I guess the point is, that i may not be ready for such a book at this time becuase i still have work to do.

I also read a neuroplasticity book becuase i explains medically how thought rewire the mind.

I would add one caution there are no mono answers in any book out there if there was we would all read it and be cured .

Dizzy
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Ashley,
Thanks for suggesting this!  I had "jumped to the conclusion" that no-one would be interested in this topic.

I read Dr. Burn’s  “Feeling Good”, but was successful with just some basics. Later, “Mind Over Mood” and “ Mastery of Anxiety & Worry” are easy and great workbooks that helped me. That’s all in the toolbox though, without the endorsements on the two glossy covered books.

Homework is still the foundation of my relationship with my helping professional and CBT. What he suggests for reading  and my homework  is tailored to my needs, and he’s open minded. I’m a bit of a wanderer, and i’ve had some patient coaches who keep me on course.
Sometimes I wonder if the training wheels will ever come off, and then there's a killer app.

The beta site forum is accessible and transportable so that the whole treatment is integrated, if your professional buys on to it’s value.   The possibilities are limitless...

12 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for posting this!

This is a great way to share what you have learned and what has helped!

Josie, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 56 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone,

I've been reading a lot lately and I was wondering if anyone read books that they feel really helped them or continue to help them. 

The first book I read when I started getting panic was When Panic Attacks: The New, Drug-Free Anxiety Therapy That Can Change Your Life by David Burns. I liked it so much I got his Feeling Good Workbook as well.

I'm also reading The Depression Cure by Stephen Ilardi which is good but depression isn't my primary problem so this doesn't help me as much.

I just started reading Hope and Help For Your Nerves by by Claire Weekes and even though it's an older book I'm really enjoying it. I also got her audio CD Pass Through Panic.

Has anybody read any other good ones or have warnings about books to stay away from?

Reading this thread: