Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,489 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

The Linden Method?

13 years ago 0 118 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Did the Lindend method that helped with your gagging suggest some form of a relaxation. This is one of the goals of this site is to find some form or relaxation response in yourself, which, is one of the pillars of stress resiliency. When you have achieved this outcome them CBT can be taken in. I dare you to try CBT during an attack. The more calm you are the more likely you will be able to use CBT or see an alternative thought if you are anxious all day then this mood colours how you see what you are doing therefore, it may be an impediment to you seeing an alternative view. The same can be said for a person in a major depressive episode he or she is unlikely to be able to see an alternative thought when all his her thought are comming from the mood of major depression.The one important thing about Clair weeks or the Lindend method or this site (just my opinion) is if you find yourself in the tools they provide and you have a belief that these tool will work for you then you are on your journey.

Dizzy
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That is a great reminder, Frosty. Often once we label something, it takes away its power. Thanks for posting!

Good comments and food for thought on the Linden Method. Definitely learning tends to take time if it's to be mastered.

Tiana, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I recently watched a UK programme with a lady who tried this method and swore it changed her life, altho' I still have reservations about it myself. Not least because if I found a ' cure ' for panic, I would put it out there for free !! Wouldn't you ??????

I can throughly recommend the books by Claire Weeks. Like a previous post said, it is old fashioned ( they were written yonks ago !! ) but she is full of good, practical common sense. When I first read one of her books I definately had a eureka moment, and felt she was absolutely on my wave length. You know that horrible sick anxiety feeling in your stomach ? Well I had that forever, and then read that really its just adrenaline, so I could give it a name and not be frightened by it, does that make sense ? Anyway her books are excellent, and because they are so old usually are very cheap to buy off one of the auction sites.

Hope this helps
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The linden method has been around under another name for a long time. So I suppose there have been some successes. It is from an era that had no other way, A slower paced time when you had no choice but to just do it. Some one said there is nothing new but the name, in some form or another it has all been tried, the same as some one else said we do not learn from history so we are destined to do it over and over again.
Do what ever works for you. In the end we all die, get what you can out of today. I'm sure some one said that too. In my shop, a proper fit lasts for ever, forcing it only weakens it and sets it up for future failure.

Just my opinion.
Davit
13 years ago 0 58 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know this topic is kind of old but as someone who has read Charles Lindens book and listened to his sessions i thought i would chip in for any future members considering trying his method.

Charles Linden suffered from anxiety and panic disorder for 10 years, he didn't leave his home in fear he would have a panic attack and die. He was very much like most of us here. He then discovered a way to rid his panic all together and then wrote a book and made a lot of money.

The Linden method is just another form of CBT; however, the most common form of CBT (like the panic center) takes a few weeks and goes by very slowly and methodically and leaving no stone unturned, the Linden method rushes through by telling the listener to force a panic attack and to make it as bad as possible so you can re-program your brain so your brain realizes that panic attacks aren't that bad or dangerous. That is all.

In my opinion, this is a method that may work on a few people and not on the rest, i personally would prefer to take my time and make sure that i fully conquered panic as opposed to sweeping it under the rug and giving it an oppurtunity to come back before i have learnt the proper coping skills. CBT will train you to cope and teach you lessons for a lifetime, the Linden Method will help you in the short term but will not prepare you for the future.

Sunny II

Teebs 

They might at that. But promises of quick fixes does not sound like the answer for the long run. Anxiety covers a lot of ground. Major anxiety with major panic needs more than a pat on the head, it needs some major work and needs to be tailored to the person. Quick fixes are Ok for the time being while you work on the total fix. Even here the first sessions give some relief but are far from a total fix. So if you think there might be something there to help you to do the long run then by all means do it. I'm sorry but just the format sends red flags up in front of me.

Davit.
13 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Davit. The only reason I was considering it was because it was on their site that I found the exercise that actually provides some relief for the gag feeling - so I thought maybe they would have more to offer, too.
The only unbiased reports on this book are bad, the rest are sponsored by the company site, not a good sign. Myself I would not waste the money. He makes some wild promises but gives no examples.  Why not, if it is so good then share it. If you share it and it is good people will buy it just to have it handy. I'd stick with this site and not because it is free but because it is good. There are no shortcuts or quick fixes. It takes time.

Davit.
I'm going to do the simple thing, I'll ask my therapist if it is worth it. Personally myself I think all you need is here and it is free. I also find that sites that are attached to a book tend to be unreliable or incomplete but I will look into it. The one thing you do not want to do is follow a fad that may only give you a temporary fix. Or worse yet be misinformation. So I would say unless there is some concrete evidence behind it be careful with it. On the other hand there have been other books recommended by members that are good. I guess my point is that if all they are doing is echoing this site, do you need it. But I most certainly will look into it because every little bit helps.

Trying to be optimistic.
Davit.

13 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cleo,
Thanks for your response. I've gone through a workbook for panic attacks I bought too and found elements of it helpful but the system wasn't quite right for me either.  I haven't heard of Claire Weeks but I'll look it up and let you know what I think.
Teebs

Reading this thread: