Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Being Taken Advantage of/Naivitee...-Protecting yourself from Upselling

12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sunny,
I guess it's live and learn
12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi H:  Yes, this has happened to me before, once or twice.  I got home and thought why did I buy that.  Usually it occurred when I was stressed and not paying attention as well as I could have.  Depending on the item, I kept it or returned it without feeling guilty.  We all have off days. I figure no need to beat yourself up about it. :-)

Sunny
Glad to hear it's common, but I wasn't in my best frame of mind(no pun) since I've stretched out my back and neck lately, and was "fuzzy" from some tylenol, besides it being awfully cold(now it's winter and I can't complain).

I'm not sure I can do much now...it's not really about cars or mechanical knowledge, but about being "assertive" as you've all suggested by slowing things down to my processing speed.

Not many have the patience of Job, though....
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When a sales man tells me I need this and that because the pieces they want to sell me are wearing out I ask them how long they will last and then waste their time with waffling. They don't like to waste time so unless it really is necessary they usually drop it. If they say it will only last a month I tell them fine I will be back then.
I have one advantage. I have a vast mechanical knowledge. Still I get stressed dealing with these types of people. I avoid the big city and pay a bit more to buy local where they know me.
As for my car, I used to work where I get my work done. They don't mess me around. 

Did you know commission sales people don't lose their commission on returns. Of course they will sell you something you don't need.  Besides are you going to take it back. Here the nearest big city is 50 dollars worth of gas away, add my time and wear on my car and I can afford to pay more local. I realize in a big city you have less chance of building relations with the people you deal with. 
My brother uses the same tire store even though they damage the bead on his tires and never get the balance right just because they are fast. I used to redo his tires after hours when I worked for Kal Tire. I had a key to the shop for call outs.

Knowledge is still the best preventive for being taken advantage of. Know what you want and don't settle for anything else. Or at least know how much compromise you will accept. 
I also tend to be assertive in my dealings without being rude. 

Davit.
12 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs,

I generally make it a rule of thumb to make a list and stick to it.  I will also usually confer with a friend before even considering the add ons or up sells!

Take the 24 hour rule..think it over for 24 hours, before making any decisions!

Josie, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 373 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh, Hugs how I hate that.  It's awful.  The only thing that works for me is to say that I need time to think about it - they usually have an answer for that, too but it's my only escape.

I took an assertiveness training course once...All that I remember is that you should think of saying no as being a statement as "Would you please pass the salt?".  If we say no and don't allow ourselves to get swept up in the emotional sales pitch, we fare better.  Alternately, I ask my husband to do this kind of work because he has a unique talent in not getting caught up in sales pitches.  We all have our strengths, I guess!
Even for the "normal" consumer, it's hard to deal with upselling when making purchases.  Fast food places have become good at this too.

I was having my car serviced, ansd spent hundreds of dollars more, and my brother laughed when I told him about him, probably more out of helplessness to remedy the situatinn than a lack of respect.  One has to be prepared when dealing with companies.

How do others cope with the marketplace, with an extra disadvantage of anxiety, when the marketplace sits poised with computers, highly skilled salespeople(called "service advisors") and the element of "surprise"?

Any tips?  I was a boy scout briefly, but I suppose I wasn't as prepared as I could be...

Reading this thread: