Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Anxiety and Insomnia--any strategies?

12 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi All,

I'm new to the forums--have posted in the introduction section a bit about my background.

Just wondering what people's strategies are for coping with insomnia--or sleep disturbances. I have struggled in the past with not being able to stay asleep--but it would come and go with stress or other factors. 

In the past 4 weeks or so I have quit smoking (yay) and started a new job--so my stress and anxiety levels are very high. 
I think that the insomnia was a side effect of the nicotine withdrawal (at first) as I read this is a very common symptom and I spoke with my doctor about it. 

Though most of the research says this should go away after about two weeks. Four weeks in and I still am having difficulty falling asleep--something I have never experienced before. 

I feel like I am super anxious and panicky about NOT being able to sleep and having to get up and go to my relatively new job--that I am perpetuating the condition and am unsure how to handle it.

I do breathing exercises, progressive muscle relaxation, work out 3-4 times a week--have tried all the 'cures' or 'tips' i can find for insomnia and I am sleeping--better now--but it is still very hard to fall asleep and let go of the anxiety I am feeling about it.

Anyone experiencing this also? Or previously and have overcome it? I would love to hear some stories, tips and techniques which have worked well!

Thanks 
Kez

Reading this thread: