Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,458 Members

Please welcome our newest members: jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease, Nallemor, Snaffums

New Member, Second Round with Anxiety

11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anonr1

You don't mention if you started Xanax again. In my opinion you need an anti anxiety more than the anti depressant which will work but not as effective. I also think this is a case where medication is needed till CBT can take effect. You have too much going against being able to concentrate. Too many things interfering. EG, uncontrolled heart beat and not being able to eat the most obvious. There are probably other subconscious things. As long as you are dedicated to doing CBT then meds are a good thing and you will have no trouble getting off when the time is right. I think you stopped too soon and have rebound. You could tough it out but it will get you no where if you can't stay calm and concentrate. CBT works but only if it can. In the mean time I think you should concentrate on the relaxation part of the program and then slowly do the whole thing in what ever amount of time it takes not moving on till you are thoroughly comfortable with each part. 
CBT does work and you can get off the meds later.

Davit
11 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Anonr1,

I'm glad you found us. It sounds like you are already seeing a doctor about this and that is important especially since the anxiety seems to be causing you to not eat. Please continue to see your doctor or therapist as your mental health cannot improve if your physical health suffers.

This program is based on Cognitive Behaviour Therapy principles which is one of the best known treatments for anxiety. The program requires a lot of reading and homework but if you put the work in you will see results.  In addition to using the program also be sure to be active in the support group. The more engaged you are with this process the better.  We are here if you have any questions at all; you are not in this alone.

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm also in the early stages of a 2nd attempt at beating this. Since we are kind of in the same boat I don't have much advice to give, but this CBT program on this site in conjunction with your meds may give you great results. I just started meds last week, and this site is a plethora of great tools. You're definitely not alone. Good luck!
11 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
If anyone has any advice for me, I'd really appreciate it.
11 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey,

Here's my story, if anyone cares to read it or gets anything from it. About a year and a half ago I almost got fired from my job. This caused some mild anxiety, but I felt much better when I was informed I would be allowed to maintain my employment. Still, having come so close left me a little on edge. I also had/have a problem with my sciatica which caused severe pain in my left leg. My doctor prescribed me Prednisone, which took my mild, incredibly easy to overcome anxiety and amplified it to the point where I simply stopped eating and stopped interacting with others.

I spent two weeks trying to ignore the issue. One morning I woke up and my wife checked my pulse and realized that it was jumping from 60 to 100bpm in a matter of seconds. I went to the doctor's office where the PA provided me with Xanax. Immediately after taking the Xanax, my appetite returned and the issue was temporarily resolved. I ended up on 10mg of Zoloft. I battled using Zoloft for half a year and then I stopped "noticing" the anxiety. I spent another 9 months on the Zoloft, doing well. 3 months ago, my doctor decides that I'm ready to come off the meds. So I worked my way down.

About 2 weeks ago, it all came back. I wake up with a burst of adrenaline which gives me an upset stomach and forces me to use the restroom. I cannot go back to sleep. I have not eaten anything substantial in 3 days. I was even taken to the emergency room for dehydration. I've called off of work for two days already and I can't continue to do so. I've been back on the Zoloft for 3 days, upping from 5mg to 10mg soon. I decided to give myself some tools to deal with my anxiety and stop ignoring the difficult part of surpassing this issue. That's how I ended up here.

Reading this thread: