Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

hi, im summer

13 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi loves trees, Thank you for your encouragement. And for your advice with the counselor. I have already started looking for someone who would be more suited for my needs. I want to do CBT so I think a psychologist is the way to go. My doctor was less than helpful. Thank you for steering me in the right direction. Summer
13 years ago 0 356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Summer and welcome.

I am sure others have already said this but if you didn't find a counsellor or particular doctor helpful, try another one. I know this costs money in most places but it is worth it because if a counsellor doesn't seem to know what you need, they may not know how to help. There are all sorts of different approaches out there - in my area counsellors and psychologists are 2 different things. Psychologists are going to be familiar with CBT and able to help you with doing this program. Counsellors may or may not do CBT. They may do other things. Talking to helping professionals, asking them questions before you sign up for paid sessions is always good, you are finding out what is out there in addition to this program here and that can be helpful. I have learned, with the help of this program, to be more assertive when calling and asking questions to determine if a counsellor is going to be helpful to me or not. Its hard to really determine that over the phone in 5 minutes but its good to advocate for yourself. 

You can beat this, as you asked in your first post. You can feel better than you do and you can learn how to manage anxiety. I have been experiencing steady (but slower than I wanted! :) ) progress since starting the program. I hope you find this helpful.
13 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you everyone for your comments and support. I am trying the program and also got a workbook. I am trying to learn to cope with the symptoms. I am going to try some relaxation techniques too. I know that the process takes time and focus. it really helps me to know that there are people here to support me. My dad is a lot of help too. And my mother and fiance are doing there best. Thank you for being so welcoming. Summer 7
13 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great tips!  Thank you for sharing these.  I automatically make things more complicated... trying to use every suggestion and do them "perfectly" ... sheesh! talk about paralyzing!  I'm sitting here scrunching my shoulders and dropping and feel better already.  So simple!
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Sunhot, Debit and Summer:  Welcome Summer to the site.  Glad you found us.

A note on the relaxation techniques.  I had panic attacks years ago, but no longer have them.  I attended a support group and studied CBT.  First thing we did at the meetings was a relaxation exercise before we started, ususally a breathing one.  Before leaving we would do another, perhaps a muscle relaxation or visualization.  In this way we learned and practiced each time.  We were asked to do these exercises at least once a day, preferrably twice, morning and evening before bed.  They didn't have to be long, but could be if you wanted.  And you didn't have to do them all, (unless you wanted) just used the one you liked.  Personally I find this the best for me.  Anytime I feel anxious or stressed, it's almost automatic now - I do a relaxation technique. 

There are lots of little ways to get rid of the stress.  Such as bringing your shoulders up as high as they will go towards your ears, and dropping them down really fast.  Do this a few times.  Even just some gentle stretching of the body any time you feel stressed is helpful too.

Hope I gave you some ideas.

Your friend, Sunny  (the other Sunny :)
13 years ago 0 152 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Summer,

Yes I agree with Sunny, the relaxation part of the program is very helpful and i make sure i do it every night before i go to bed, i also take comfort in knowing there are others like me and we are all normal people with normal lives wanting to get well again. every now and again i have that same hint of doubt if i will get better again but i try to push it away quickly you have to, i am now up to the exposure part of the program and am yet to really challange myself but i do go grocery shopping on my own and try to do some things I also am starting to blog about things that get me down or accomplishments or just my week in general as it helps to get it off your chest.

xxx

13 years ago 0 58 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Summer,

I too was a completely independent person, about a year ago i was in Kenya, camping in the masai mara surrounded by lions and hyena, i loved skydiving, snowboarding and cliff jumping but now after a few emotional setbacks, i have to build up enough courage to drive my car around the block.

I am new to the program as well, been here a couple of days. One thing that really has helped me the past few days is knowing there are so many people that suffer from the same afflictions and that i am not alone;at the same time, every member here wants to get better and wants me to get better too. Every time i log on i feel a wave of love and positivity that comes from this website.

The relaxation techniques which are topic 10, i would recommend doing these, i found they really helped me.

Just remember to be kind to yourself,

Sunny

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Summer.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record (what is that :-)  ). But the program works, and well too. A rare thing now a days. And it's free. Another rare thing. But you just have to join us and read some posts to find that it does work, even if it doesn't look like it now.

Here for you.
Davit.
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome, Summer! Thank you for sharing your story with us. There are many people within this support group that share the same questions and concerns as you.  We are all a group of individuals who support each other.  

This program is 12-weeks and involves the tools mentioned above.  Each session is based on the previous session, so we strongly advise that you work slowly through the program and not jump ahead.  

If you look to the left of the screen under "TOOLS" you will find many supportive tests.  These tests are not diagnostic tools and are not a replacement or substitute for a physician's advice. The purpose of these tests is to prepare you with information that you can present to your physician. When you're finished the test, you can either print your Final Report or email it directly to your doctor.

Please continue to strive forward and lean on us for support. You are taking an important first step by seeking help!! Stay brave!

Tiana, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 36 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Summer!
That sounds somewhat like my situation was. I used to get mild panic attacks when I was a teenager, but was able to get through them easily. Now I'm 26 and it was harder for me to get over them, now its a bit easier since I started working through the program. I'm only on session 3 and I'm already feeling better and am able to control my panic/anxiety better. My advice to you would be to read through the program as it instructs you to do so. Read through other members' posts, a lot of people go through this, and understanding that you're not alone is a big help for most people. It may be hard to do when you're dealing with anxiety, but try to relax and laugh. If you have a favorite funny show that you can watch, just relax and enjoy it, I do this and it helps me. Good luck on working through the program, it really helps. :D

Stay positive,
-jSquared

Reading this thread: