Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,458 Members

Please welcome our newest members: jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease, Nallemor, Snaffums

"New" again!

14 years ago 0 86 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
True, Davit.
I am a lucky person because I have family and friends who are supportive, but I know that not everyone completely understands the struggle that panic attacks cause.  That's why I came back here because I can connect so well to others' experiences and learn from others' successes.
You are definitely an inspiration! 

14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
And the worst part of each success is that you only have you and us to share it with cause no one else understands but know that I share your success and every time some one shares a gain even a little one I cheer and it makes my day just a little bit better.

Davit.
Thank-you Davit and Samantha

A past success?

Well, I used to have such intense panic attacks, that it got to the point that I couldn't go into ANY store for fear that I had to stand in line.  I avoided restaurants, malls, theatres, and much of my driving.  The lowest point was when I was pregnant and on a trip to my FAVOURITE place in the world - the Oregon Coast.  I was hit with a horrible attack in a familiar store and had to leave my family so that I could go back to the hotel.  I was distraught because this was the ultimate place where I was always happy and here was that darn panic monster ruining it for me.

So, I worked hard at systematically exposing myself to various situations.  It took me months, but to make a long story short, each exposure proved to me that I wasn't going to pass out and throw up in front of a bunch of strangers!  I can now go into malls and big box stores.  I drive places that used to scare the poop out me.  I go to events that I would have had to drag myself to.  

It's not perfect, but when I look back on where I was 2 years ago, I see a HUGE difference.  As you work through panic attacks, you learn what works for you and then you can use these techniques on subsequent attacks.  As uncomfortable as it seems, push yourself a bit (every day or two), just out of that comfort zone and celebrate your successes tenfold.  For example, if you make it through a panicky situation for ten minutes longer than last time...buy yourself something nice, call up a friend and tell them how proud you are, etc. 

This is not an easy thing to overcome, so I think that when we are so used to  feeling helpless and weak, we should realize that we are actually incredibly strong people because we are facing huge challenges and every success is major!  Every little step forward leads to a huge distance in the long run.

Go team! LOL

14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome back.

I hope you will take the time to tell us about your past successes.

Davit.
Hi all,
I actually used this site a few years ago and it was so incredibly helpful.  I have regained so much of my life back thanks to the exercises and help that I got from everyone.
I have a new challenge in my life - I have to go on an airplane in a few months and that has really re-triggered my panic.  As a result, it has started worming its way back into old things that I used to panic about (stores, traffic, etc.).  My goal is to use past successes so that I can manage my panic again and deal with the concern of that pesky plane flight I'll take! LOL
I know that this is a great place to come to, as I have mentioned, it was so life-changing in the past.
:-)

Reading this thread: