Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Hello! Am I in the right place? Selfimage vs. Anxiety

14 years ago 0 39 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sunny, Davit & M-P,
I just wanted to say that I agree with Sunny & Davit about the need to forgive yourself.  I do think though that forgiving yourself is tied with asking for forgiveness from the person you hurt though, if it's possible. It's like a kid who stole a chocolate bar from the corner store.  Being sorry and forgiving yourself is one thing.  Going back to the store, admitting what you did was wrong, offering to make things right with the owner,etc. really completes the healing process and removes lingering feelings of shame and guilt. Cheers, Don
14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello M-P

I am nearly twice your age but I remember the parties and I remember the remorse the next day, mostly because I didn't know if what I might have done was wrong. There was a lot of peer pressure at that age and it got me in trouble. I just wanted to be like the big boys and at that time I don't think I knew right from wrong. Having it bother me for a number of years made me a better person and I realize now that I probably didn't have much control over the situation. And making mistakes doesn't end at fifteen or twenty or even at sixty. And some times there not your fault. Some one once told me that if God can forgive me why can't I forgive my self. I agree with sunny, your not going to do it again so forgive yourself. Don't let one little slip ruin your chance for a beautiful life.

Peace
Davit.
14 years ago 0 192 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello M-P:  Welcome to the site.  I hope you find lots of support here and I wish you the best.
We have all done things in the past of which we are not proud.  To see the transgression with a different perspective, someone taught me to think about the situation as though it was a friend who did it. Then, if that friend was truly ashamed, truly remorseful, would I forgive that friend?  Yes, I probably would forgive if they were truly remorseful.  So then, why don't I forgive myself?  Am I not human also, as this friend?  Why is it so difficult to forgive ourselves?  Are we that arrogant to think that we can do no wrong? That's a kind of false pride. We are imperfect beings, we make mistakes.  It is how we act and feel afterwards which saves us (spiritually, internally) and is proof of our growing as a better person.  Have you ever done it again?  If not, then you know the difference between right and wrong.  And if you have not done it again, you choose to do the right thing, you choose the good path.  You have a conscience which can show you the way, if you listen.  Sounds like you do listen.  Love yourself with all your imperfections.  You can be more understanding and loving of others with their imperfections. 

I also had to cut ties with someone close to me (family member).  It was for a period of almost 10 yrs.  Now it is better, not perfect, but better.  Even though I do not agree with this person on different levels, it doesn't matter.  I choose to be adult, civil, friendly, courteous and kind and if a hurt comes my way, I can now manage it without going emotionally out of control.  That means there is still emotional hurt (afterall we are caring beings) but I know I can get over it now.  Hope this helps a little...take care
14 years ago 0 39 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi M-P,
Just stumbled on your original post. Please don't feel guilty, shameful or that you are at fault regarding your father's illness and how it affects your relationship with him. My father died from Alzheimer's not too long ago. While we remained emotionally close to the end of his life, sometimes I realized it was the disease speaking to me and not my father. It does constantly hurt to be reminded of your father's illness, but try to be continually thankful for any positive memories you have of him, rather than continually dwelling on his disease. It helped me deal with my emotions and anxiety that were so up & down as my father's disease got worse.

On your second example of some inappropriate touching that occurred 15 years ago when you were a teenager, I would say that Ashley was right on when she brought up catastrophic thinking.  You aren't a "potential sex criminal". We all do things we wish we could take back but cannot. You let yourself down, that's all.  We all disappoint ourselves at the wrong choices we made (and continue to make) at some point. I think it's OK (actually you should) feel regret or remorse for a time, but don't let it haunt you another 15 years. I'm not sure why this incident has obviously bothered and hurt you so deeply after so long, but try to identify why it "hurts so much", see what you learned from it, and then put it behind you and move on. If you can't, especially where bothersome early sexual experiences are deeply ingrained, I think seeing a professional therapist is a wise move to hopefully get some healing and closure. When it's appropriate, asking for forgiveness from the person you think you may have hurt may also bring you peace. Cheers, Don

14 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Glad to see you are seeing progress!

Stick with it!

Keep us posted on any progress or thoughts!

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
not so much becoming. it's more what i make of myself in the past. i know i'm a good person and that i have always been and i don't think i will degrade really, for me it more the ever present doubt of what has been. 1% true is enough for my autonomous nervous system to keep throwing stomach punches and eye twitches. black and white, catastrophy thinking. oh yes, on target.

i'll keep on breaking down my thoughts. a little progress here. the fear has declined a bit by talking, reding, practising.

14 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
MP,

Thank you for thoughtfully articulating where you feel your panic stems from.  I did notice however that after your explanations you said you worry about your psyche breaking down and you becoming a potential sex criminal!  This certainly is a very black and white catastrophizing thought pattern.  It is good to pin point this type of thinking, examine it, break it down and potentially change it.  The more negative thought patterns you break down the easier it will be for you to control your anxiety. 

So let's discuss this sentence.  Do you really think you could become a sex criminal?  Even if you said it in a joking manner it can still play a role on how you view yourself.  Use these questions found in the program to help you break down this thought.  I removed the last two questions as I do not think they really apply to this situation.
  1. Is it "true"?
  2. How do I know it’s true?
  3. Is the negative thought 100% true? (Something less than 100% true is not true)
  4. What's the evidence for it being true?
  5. What's the evidence against it being true?
  6. Has it ever happened before?
  7. What's different now?

Members, what questions do you ask yourself to break down negative thought patterns?

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
M-P

Just a quick note here. When I was 30 I had to put my father in hospital because he had alziemers and I could no longer care for him. It caused a nervous breakdown and I was on medication for a while. Some times we have no control over what happens to us in our life. My father still haunts my thoughts, but like the shrink said. I COULD DO NOTHING ELSE. You may not be able to change the past or even your peception of it but you can most certainly change how you deal with it. Bring it to the front where you can deal with it. Ashley is right follow the program it will help. Good luck , even the silent ones here are chearing for you.

Peace
Davit
14 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley and Stephen, thanks for caring!

I will indeed try to work on the homework part of the program even though I find it hard when the panic or anxiety "attacks" for me are more or less present the whole day. Just need a reminder to fall back in there, the reminder can even be that I get a feeling wellbeing and that things are fine. But then my nervous system is quick to tell me their not. Remember your worries, anxieties and concerns, and I'm quickly pulled back down into it.

OK, i'll try to give you some examples even though it's hard. Hard to put into words. And hard to throw it out to the world, but I guess it's good training before seeing a therapist.

- My biological father has schizophrenia. He and my mum seperated when was just an infant and his illness dawned on my mother and it made the relationship impossible. I don't have more exact and specific reasons for the separation than that, but it's not superimportant Anyways my father thereafter lived in another city, As far back as I have memories I visited him and my grandparents in the summers. Most of the time he was medicating and was therefor quite well. But looking back at it the relationship beteween him and me has always been quite dysfunctional because of his, depending on the strong medication i take it, inability to show a lot of real/strong emotions. he was always behind a blunt, desentisized filter. We never really spoke too much about the illness of my father with my family (mum and stepfather) i found out quite late that he had this thing called schizophrenia even though I always knew something was not right. Questions like what does you father work with (he doesn't, he's on retired because of some illness) always caused worries and feeling shame and uncertainty.

Later in life when I was an adult we kept in contact but frequent phonecalls were just empty and filled with anxiety for me. Not much being said and no real substance. The contact was withheld more for his sake than mine. Sometimes when he was slipping into illness, maybe from skipping medication, I always felt bad and wanted to end our calls. But I always felt bad then too because there was some sort of silent agreement that if he called he abrubted the call too.

Anyways when I was around 26 he started getting worse and therefore acting strangely, irrationally and sometimes really rudely and there could be 15 phonecalls nighttime when I was getting up to work the next day. Or 15 really messed up voice messages. I ended up being quite abrubt and telling him I wanted no contact when he was behaving like this. Of course I his inability to realize his own illness whilst being in it. But it hurt me to be constantly reminded.

Well, when I some time after this I moved I intentionally did not give him my new number and adress. It was too much of a distress for me, this contact with him, now at age 30 I haven't talked to him since then. Even though I realize I did the right thing to cut contact at that point I now have a lot of guilt and shame for doing this. even though according to me, we never had a proper father/son-relationship I now feel bad since it's probably some blood duty of mine to keep in touch. I might be the only thing in his life that gives comfort, who knows. But I can't do it when the stress and anxiety of it outweighs what I get out of it. This is is a constant but strong guilt and shame of mine.

Another one that came recently is of another nature. Like I said I'm 30 now. At 15 I was at party. One of the first with alcohol involved. There were fumbling first kisses, everything was fun and new. Since this was 15 years ago my memories are naturally very fragmentary. I remember going into a room at this party and there was a guy in there on a bed with a girl i had quickly and innocently kissed earlier on the same evening. Anyways these guys are involved in each other, kissing and touching. I somehow also get involved with her and I remember touching her breasts (one of few still pictures that my mind kept) I think I remember the girl being quite drunk. It stays at that and I leave the room shortly. I guess with a feeling that there was something about the situation that was not altogether solid and good since she was so drunk.

This has just been a memory among others about those early, fumbly boy/girl experiences, no specific anxiety attached to it. In the last 2 years maybe I think I have been getting this more sort of panicky feelings and symptoms more regularly in connection to situations where I might have hurt somebody. This incident from when I was 15 was the latest to bubble up (i guess because the others were temporarily out of the way and my body wouldn't allow me not ahaving any worry at all), seemingly from out of nowhere and just starting to hurt me and keep being thrown at me in a flash/lightning way where every still image in my head is loaded with so much ache, worries and guilt. What if she was so drunk she didn't know what's going on back then? What if I shouldn't have done that? Why did I do that if I could see she was drunk? Basically a head on collision with all my morals and ethics that I had with me already before that and that I have kept building my values on since then. I'm very much driven by justice, equality and gender perspective and I've always had very caring, equal sexual relations throughout life. So now I suddenly get these vague memories flashing in me where I as a very young man maybe acted in a way I would not have acted today. But why does it hurt so much? I left the room. I probably learned alot. I can't even remember the reasons and factors surrounding all this today. I can't change it today. But everything even slightly worrying to me that I can't change becomes an elephant in my head. My own logical arguments don't bite on when anxiety-flashes hit the chest or the stomach. It's how I imagine post-traumatic images hitting people who have been in a war or seen terrible things. But this is obviously not dangerous or destructive other than to my own self-image. And even though I know it's not healthy with too perfect expectations on myself I still don't want my psyche to gradually break me down and me turn into some potential sex criminal.

Once again, long story. But just a couple of examples of what goes on up here :) Hope I can at least almost explain with these two examples.

M-P

14 years ago 0 15 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome MP,
In my opinion if you found this site and were willing to start working on it, you are in the right place. I am only in week 2 and through the worksheets I have found I was ruled by negative thoughts. I fill out all the forms, record in the daily diary and try to blog every day, which I keep on here. I have aleady seen positive results. I am also involved in a 12 step program and they seem to compliment each other nicely. I also am working on developing a better spiritual program, which I won't go into here, but it also seems to help.
Seeing my thoughts on paper really helps me to see the automatic (negative) thinking process I had developed as a result of 25 plus years of anxiety. This is the first time I have really felt hope that I will be able to live a normal, anxiety free life.
Your are in the right place,
Stephen

Reading this thread: