Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Health related panic attacks..

6 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Interesting thoughts Amani. I am happy you have found something that seems to be working for you.I haven't read very many studies on the topic; so, I am a bit hesitant to answer your question. I have read about one study which was highly controlled where they gave patients small amounts of Psilocybin alongside therapy. In these controlled environments some patients noticed benefits. This points to the need of more research. Until more research is conducted I would not recommend experimenting with mushrooms in an attempt to control anxiety. First of all, I am not sure the legal repercussions that could be possible depending on your location. Secondly, when we are purchasing drugs that are not regulated there is a chance we could be consuming anything. If we try to find magic mushrooms on our own there is a chance we could misidentify the mushroom which could be very dangerous. Also, if we are not carefully controlling the amount of Psilocybin in the mushrooms or the environment in which we take the drug then there is always a chance of a "bad trip". I have heard many stories of people actually having a panic attack while on mushrooms. In addition to all this, we are not clear of the long term side effects of taking mushrooms regularly. I would want to be very certain of the short and long term risks prior to taking the drug. Please feel free to share whatever thoughts and information you find about this topic. Thanks for posting!

6 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I have been always been a fan of magic mushrooms (https://www.trufflemagic.com/blog/my-magical-experience-with-the-psilocybe-hollandia-truffles/). It helps me quit drinking alcohol and smoking tobacco and not only that, it gives many healthy benefits like reducing the risk of depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder and anxiety. It has a very potent effect on the brain and hallucination. Unlike marijuana does it have any medical use? In one article that I've read magic truffles or shrooms compaired to synthetic drugs are very alarming. 

6 years ago 0 219 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Recovery has been slow, but I'm healing.

Hugs, tell me of your adventures while I've been away.
7 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Eggs, I'll pray for your recovery. Thanks for your encouragement. ps. The bread needed some low heat, and seems fine. I'm going to break from cornbread, maybe, like your food journal. Maybe it's the extra bread that's bothering me, since I had to munch on crackers for a few days.
7 years ago 0 219 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs,

I miss Davit too. As for the bread, I only make fruit breads like banana, blueberry, apple, etc... My cooking tips would pale in comparison. 

My surgery date is set for 3rd week in March. The countdown begins. My panic attacks have lessened some. My skin is taking the brunt of my stress right now. I keep trying to recall some ways to cope that Davit taught me and for all my memory is worth I can't. I even went through all of the emails we exchanged looking for what I thought was there but must be in the skype conversation somewhere.

Alas, once my surgery date arrives I will be offline here for a good month. I am looking forward to hearing about your adventures when I log back in. 

P.S. I hope the bread turns out.
Thanks Eggs, I guess I’d feel awkward if someone looked at my older self, and judged me too. An inspiring movie was the “Silver Linings Playbook”, but it’s hard not to see Matt Damon not being “Jason Bourne”/action star! And his co-star also had a mental illness, so I felt inspired. Watching another TEDx talk inspired me to see the possibility of getting over physical pain(as if mental illness isn’t enough). The anaology was that physical pain is actually often over-reacted to, similar to anxiety. The speaker was Lorimer Mosely who sounded Australian at : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwd-wLdIHjs. I miss Davit since he had all these cooking fixes...today my bread didn't rise, and I'm trying to cook it again at a lower temperature....oh well...back to the drawing board.
Hugs,

I guess it would depend on the potential persons personality. I suppose if the potential person lacked empathy/compassion they wouldn't be a good person to be in a relationship with. You have to weed out the personality traits before such a relationship. In order to do so, you have to put yourself out there if you're willing to weed out the bad apples.

As for the mental illness part... the stigma isn't there anymore. More often then not, almost every person you come in contact with has some form/type of mental illness. It was estimated that 42.5 million people suffer from a mental illness in the USA. That's just the USA. I can understand about the physical illness too. It's human nature to seek someone healthy when we're younger. I myself am not young now, so to me a relationship is based on trust and companionship. Yet when I was younger, I recall my future mother in law once commenting that I had good child bearing hips (decades ago) before her son and I were even engaged. If someone said that now, it'd be awkwardly embarrassing.

I like your 3 affirmations and they're very good too. I think that is a great idea before bedtime.

Eggs, I guess it's not pessimism. It just always feels dark, and like there's a cloud, as with that cartoon character. Before I sleep, I always review my 3 affirmations of being persistent, being competent and thinking of someone who showed I was worthy of being likeable. How does a person with a disorder venture into a "relationship"? It seems easy for those with physical ills. Even HIV is acceptable with the celebrity status it's had. This stigma around mental illness just makes me live a double life I guess, and maybe that's a source of pessimism. I'm not sure the world's docs has solutions for mental illness the way they can deal with physical ills. I can see why, since the brain is so central to everything. Maybe it's my fear of being rejected though. A person with a physical illness might have a chance of being rejected, once a relationship gets serious too, doesn't it.
Hugs,

The compliment on your success was given freely. I'm very proud of you. I could never imagine you as pessimistic. 

I was eating a wide variety/nationality of foods at the time that I started keeping a food journal. I can admit honestly there were a lot of times I didn't write in it for days. It did help though. For the longest time I thought Spaghetti was a culprit in my flare ups. I found out by eating cheaply made spaghetti one evening  and waiting for a flare up to follow. It never came. I looked back through the journal and found my column marked triggered and seen it was spaghetti with onions/green bell peppers and mushrooms. A light bulb went off per say.. So I had a mushroom pizza later in the week and no issues. That left 2 items. A week later I knew it was certainly the onions. It could take you less time than it did me. I understand the obsession concern. Use your best rational judgement on taking on another list. 

We're not broken with our anxiety disorder. Always remember that please. You're not broken, I'm not broken-and any type of disorder/illness does not define us, what we are worth, nor sets us apart from being compatible with others. 

Eggs, I'm not sure I can take a compliment, or am just pessimistic. Did it really take 2 years? I'm tracking a lot of other stuff(sleep/mouthguard use(for bruxism) and I wonder if this will just feed my obsession. Obsession is reducing with age. A few health issues have come about, but they're not serious yet. Maybe it's a good thing to know there's an endpoint to life, so I be prompted to act. That video makes that point, I think, by stating that there are a finite number of days in our lives. there's a biblical reference to planning poorly, and being ridiculed if the planning fails, so I read it daily, hoping I'll dream of this, and be more committed. I noted a parent did something which I thought was abusive on public transit a few weeks ago. The parent didn't like the childs behaviour, and reprimanded the child, threatening to embarrass "his ass in public". Although my parent used corporal punishment, I thought this was worse! Today went to a workshop about leadership, and will think about it over the weekend. Not "connecting" with people is probably because, quite frankly, I didn't wish to impose my brokenness-as a person with an anxiety disorder- on another person. Who would want me. I don't think this indentation is working, but it's worked before. I'll keep experimenting. Maybe I just need to transfer it to a wordprocessor. I'll try that next.

Reading this thread: