Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

How do I get through this?

14 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Ashley, I dpnt currently have a counsellor as it is too expensive for me at the moment but hopefully it is something I will be able to have soon. thanks for your response, it has helped alot. My dad bought me a book on panic attacks so I have asked my parents to read it too so that they can understand a bit better. I realise it must be very hard for them to understand when they dont get it.
14 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sploshie!

Welcome to the family. 

Drinking can and does make panic worse.  It is best to avoid drinking.  Also, work your way through the program.  Even if your panic is not bothering you learning coping mechanisms, and being aware of your triggers will help you prevent panic attacks in the future.

Do you have a counsellor to talk to? They can help you move forward.  Often institutionalization is a last resort and it is often avoided.  It is best to try to manage your panic at home and live as normal of a life as possible. 

Your mother and boyfriend may not understand panic and that is common.  Have patients with them and try to explain to them what panic is.  The more you understand panic the easier it will be for you to explain it to them.  So again, work your way through the program and learn as much as you can.

Panic is very manageable.  It is one of the most manageable mental health problems so know that you can get through this.

Stay strong.

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey guys, had the worst setbback ive had in a long long while, panic attacks came to the point where the nurseline told me to ring an ambulance immediately. I feel I should have gone to hospital as the ambulance crew asked me to but I just couldnt bring myself to go as I would have been even more terrified ina hospital!! It is the first time my new boyfriend has seen anything like this and I think I might have freaked the poor guy out. My mam has had too much aswell as she thinks I should go into a mental health hospital for panic attacks because she feels they are so draining for everyone around me to deal with too. I know it would probably help me alot but my best friend is in a hospital like that and I am scared of the same stigma being put on me as has been put on her, i know that is horrible to say, I do not have any problems with them I just dont want people judging me. Today is probably the first day in my life where I really really feel as if I have no-one truly backing me up. I have been offered a job 6 hours away from here and I am thinking of taking it so I miight be able to start a fresh. I dont knw, Im so confused. I try to do the course but in 2 days time I wont be anxious anymore, the anxiety and PAs go from virtually nothing to severe all the time. It seems to be alcohol but I cant stop going out with friends to drink, its so stupid,I bring it all on myself by drinking.

Reading this thread: