Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,458 Members

Please welcome our newest members: jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease, Nallemor, Snaffums

Hunger & Stress

9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs

How are you doing and how is your Mom since the two are related? You haven't  mentioned your garden so you must be busy. Karin is getting better and actually managing a bit of time in ours.  Today she was helping the peas attach to the fence and the pole beans  to twist around the poles. I'd post pics but I can't change my avatar and I don't know if it is me or the site. I spent the whole morning weeding strawberries that we planted this spring. I can't believe how often I have to mow the lawn too.
I'm actually sticking pretty close to my change of diet and I feel better. Still it is hot today and a beer would be nice since it is too hot to work. A couple of hours and I can go back out there.
Second day in a row I forgot to thaw some lamb to BBQ. I guess it will be Pizza instead. Not good because of the salt but one night should be okay.
I don't eat more when I'm stressed but I eat more junk like ice cream, chips or wieners or all of that. And the salt causes water retention and I get heavy and slow.

Davit 
9 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I got up too early, thinking I could just keep the regular schedule I keep of sleeping 9 hours, but I forgot the cumulative stress of 3 weeks of sleeplessness is harming me. I'm stuck on whether to get tv or not, for mom at the hospital, since it's busy today with visits. During the week, I'd rather she was available, and tv seems to suck the energy out of me, and I assume it might do the same for mom. There are so many things to do, that my self-care is being challenged, and a keep getting self-care "mini-lectures" at the hospital, by the staff. How do I balance advocacy for mom, with self-care needs with basic home maintenance? It's all so overwhelming. john
9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Self care is just that, taking care of ones self. Not spoiling ones self as so many interpret it. You can not care for others if you can not care for yourself. This is not criticism but a fact. And I am an excellent example. And I'm fed up which is a side effect of my slipping out of self care. It really came to the forefront today on the tractor when I noticed my coordination and care were way off. I broke some things that I wouldn't have and didn't care. It is the middle of the night and I can't sleep. In the morning this all changes. I go back to self care with a vengeance. 
Before Karin came I was careful what I ate. I'm not blaming her but she is a contributing factor since she shops also. And I am the one with the problem although it may be hers also since she has chronic fatigue and diet plays a role. 
Karin like so many people I know seems to be okay on convenience food and treats. I say seem to be because they have a different life style and attitude. I've been sitting in my garden wondering what the hell I'm doing and why. It is a lot of work to raise a garden and only eat the raspberries. 
What the hell am I talking about? I'm talking about excess consumption of sugar and salt. And it crept up on me. Why? Because it does that. Not only does the sugar and caffeine interfere with cognitive function, driving the tractor for instance but it interferes with eating proper. And with it has gone clear thinking and any concern for correcting it. So I have a battle on my hands if I don't want to sink back into a life of despair and anxiety. Which I sure as the hell don't. I've been there and it was no fun. This is not going to be easy. I can not tell her what to buy all I can do is tell her it is killing me. We have bought more ice cream in the last month than I have in the last ten years. And potato chips and chocolate. All treats that have become main courses. And convenience food like wieners and frozen pizza. What the hell am I doing, I can cook and have been doing it salt free for years. My BP is up again and I'm overweight and my drive is gone. I have no energy and I ache. Sugar is not good for Arthritis. We won't mention the beer that was so nice when it was hot. We have two fridges which will help. Mine is tiny, just big enough for milk eggs and some cheese mostly with room for left overs. It doesn't have a freezer for ice cream. I'll stay out of hers. That is where the chocolate ice cream and pizza live. 
New potatoes will be ready in the garden soon. Cauliflower is right now and beets need thinning. Squash will be ready soon. Cucumbers are ready and tomatoes only need to turn colour. And there are berries. 

It is getting light out, I had better get a few more hours sleep. My treat for doing this is going to be one coffee in the morning which I intend to enjoy and it is decaffeinated. 
Wish me luck, this will be hard but is necessary.

Davit
9 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hugs,

Self care is important and it helps your own mind and body!

Get the nails done
Take a nap
Take a shower
Read a book
Eat a well balanced meal
Have healthy snacks on hand to prevent from over eating

Your worth it!

Josie, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Has anyone found their hunger is increased during stress? While mom is in hospital, I can't believe how hungry I am! I'm not sleeping well, and the staff keep reminding me of the importance of "self-care". I did get my hair cut today, and want to get my nails cut nicely as a treat, but that can wait.

Reading this thread: