Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,484 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd

About to have an operation....

9 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Moggie,

I can really hear how scared you are. First of all, heart papitations are pretty common and even normal at times. If you have had it checked out I wouldn't be too concerned. I am assuming you have been assessed prior to surgery? Also, reactions to flue shots can happen at times too, I had a reaction myself. That all being said it sounds like logically you know that you are not in danger. So what you need to continue to do is challenge these thoughts. Use the program i it's entirety. You can likely get through the first three sessions in the next two weeks.

Also, use the section on relaxation techniqes and use these questions:

10 Questions that Help Fight Anxious Thoughts
1.   Is it "true"?
2.   How do I know it’s true?
3.   Is the anxious thought 100% true? (Something less than 100% true is not true)
4.   What's the evidence for it being true?
5.   What's the evidence against it being true?
6.   Has it ever happened before?
7.   What's different now?
8.   How bad would it really be?
9.   What's the worst thing that could happen?
10. If the worst thing happened, how bad would it really be?

It can be scary to really examine your fears but it can really help.

Keep us updated on how you are feeling.

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Moggie...
I hope I can ease you're worry about you're operation....
First of All.It's All in Gods Hands...Just do a Prayer to the Lord...To help the Surgeons do their best.I been under the knive a few times myself...and was scared..but then when the day came to go under the knive..I let go..because things would be for the better after the operation.I would get up take a shower...so I would be clean and fresh for the Event.Hope and Pray for You that everything will be fine....and to ease you're anxiety about this Operation.I'll quote my mother.....when she had hip replacement....The doctor asked her...are You scared....and she replied, Jesus is with Me and leading You to do You're Best.
the Doctor looked perplexed...but understood her...God Bless You and Everyone that is going to get and Operation.....

9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What can I say, I've had 15 operations, only three were emergencies and life threatening. The one thing they all had in common was that I survived all of them so any anxiety was unnecessary. I've never had any panic associated with them. I figure if I die on the table it will be painless and I'll never know. Now going for cataract surgery is going to be different, I will be awake for that and I have to have both done. A bit scary, but I will just do it because I know how much better it will be. My finances are in order just in case.
Is there a trick to this, I doubt it. I think it is just attitude. Maybe I just don't care any more. I should but don't and that could be the Key. I find that after you have done everything you can, what will be will still be. One thing I must say, my first elective surgery for my knees was easy because I really didn't care. I was tired of the pain. Anything was better than that. Kicker was it took five operations before they got it right. It is easier when you are already in hospital, they just stick you in an ambulance and away you go. Out of your hands. I've logged a lot of hours in ambulances, air and land. They don't like you sick on a plane so they shoot you up with Ativan and Gravol. Now this is the only good use for Ativan. 

Oh, and I have a murmur and the last operation I had tachecardia. (very fast heart rate) Took a couple of days to get that back to normal. All in a days work for them.

Still I can understand anyone being afraid of being put to sleep. It just doesn't happen with me.

Davit
9 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all,

I am going under the knife in two weeks and am absolutely terrified of the anaesthetic!!! Particularly as I get heart palpitations and had a reaction to the flu shot... Does any one have any tips about dealing with the stress of an upcoming operation? I know it's a complete overreaction but I have somehow convinced myself that it is far more dangerous than it is and had weeks of bad panic attacks because of it...

Cheers!

Reading this thread: