Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

What or Who "Grounds" or calms you?

10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Vincenza,
This is something I'd like to pay more attention to.  Spirituality, and being physically active.  High strung people are irritating, and arrogant people, unethical behaviours and rudeness aren't my type of people.
10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm noise sensitive so it is hard explaining why I can tolerate some loud noises and not others. It boils down to whether they belong there, or more like whether I think they belong there. 

Nature is not always quiet, but the noises belong there. Some things still bother me, like too many geese. Tractors are noisy but the noise tells me what it is doing. Dogs barking doesn't bother some people because they feel it belongs there. 
Barking dogs really annoy me, but coyotes don't. People can fall into either category. And I can forgive and even tolerate people if they are loud because they are nervous. (usually their hands give them away) 

What grounds me? Getting away from what is bothering me. It could be anything. Oh and if the noise belongs there it can often cover up one that doesn't.

Davit
10 years ago 0 177 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs and Shari,

There seems to be a certain personality type that just erks me and I'm not even entirely sure why. When I was in hospital last year, there was one girl who I just didn't like from the very start. I think it was because she seemed so loud and obnoxious. I also didn't like how full on she was, she'd even go into other people's rooms which to me just isn't right. There was another girl in my form class like that, and she was very similar personality wise. It might have something to do with the fact that their personality is the total opposite of mine, I may be outgoing but I also like to be reserved.

As for something that grounds me, I guess it would be nature. Being outside clears my mind and makes me feel better all round :)

Kaitie.
Hi Shari,
What's sad about realizing that I'm similarly wired, and uncomfortable with others who are wired, is that might explain part of my isolation.

Who wants to be around a person like me, who is high energy.  I noticed a moment like that this morning, when I fell into a trap which others often fall, and is antagonizing.  I'd made a copy of something, and the accountant photocopied it while the meter was running(his hourly rate versus, not my car).  After he returned, I suggested that he keep, what I'd forgotten to tell him was a second copy.

It irritates me just remembering this

But I'm in good hands
10 years ago 0 1071 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I find, in general, that I am drawn to quiet and calm people and I feel relaxed in their presence; it's a peaceful energy.  I also find that people, like myself, who are a little more wired, make me uncomfortable, because their nervous energy is contagious and I feel edgy around them. 

Shari
I had a meeting with an accountant today, and felt so relaxed, since his world, unlike mine, is so simplified, organized and settled.  I tried to keep that feeling until I got home.

Do others have activities and people who drain away the stress, so they get "grounded" like our electricity is protected by fuse boxes and surge protectors on electrical power bars

Reading this thread: