Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,480 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Serving Two "Masters" With Contrasting Goals

12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,
I'd like to say, I changed "these things" and itemize them.  The problem is, I don't wish to feel judged, and be sandwiched in between two people preceding and following me who were better.

It was testy last week since I had to listen to a class full of women describing a handsome celebrity, and my self-image is not doing well.

I remember once being in another course where we were giving presentations, and there was a former Olympian in the class.  When I stated I didn't wish to follow him, he was irritated, but upon reflection, who would wish to follow a world-class athlete with a gold medal from one of the most affluent families in the region?

I was going to say that he should have felt complimented, but maybe his nannies spoiled him so he can't understand what it's like to be below average, but I know you've started a thread on "anger" I have a lot of grist for the mill there
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I want to help my parent be comfortable and secure in her home.  At the same time, I'm taking a special interest course with some "homework" which is competing with my parents needs.

I don't know what to say to the strong-willed instructor, when she polls the class, one-by-one, asking us what we did.  Sometimes we do this in small groups, so I can "pass" and not feel judged.

I don't know if I'll be able to say "I just didn't do the homework".    I went from overwhelming myself, thinking that I could wash and paint a kitchen(not possible) to changing a faceplate on a plug to appease the instructor.  Does the instructor have vested interests anyway, since she's looking for sales leads as a realtor, in  a lucrative market in an urban city-I don't know?

In another class, the instructor stated that "accountability" is important, and I felt pressured. 

But I'm not accountable to the instructor, but my personal values.  I don't wish to skip the class either, since that would be "flight" and I would lose the content, which will be useful  later. 

Maybe I could send her an email, explain my dilemma, and she'll go from there...

Reading this thread: