Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Etiquette and Asserting Oneself - "Finger- Lickin´" Bad

9 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hope this can be helpful? It is a email to my wife as a reply to her's involving yesterdays Christmas holiday.  It is funny in a way but does involve a lot of issues that you talk about...

I enjoyed it as well! Very much so!!!

I also liked and can put to use ALL of my gifts and your food was “off the hook” excellent!!!

I must admit I was a little nervous, tense and apprehensive about the whole deal over the last couple days as I tend to overthink everything as you know. Good in business, not so good in personal relationships!

For example thinking about how my mom and Dustin just generally don’t get along, not knowing how me and Kevin/ Amanda would get along, etc.. Or even Garrett & Dustin for that matter?

Likened I get when I am “drunk” that makes you uneasy, the above mentioned people can do or say things “perfectly straight” that makes me cringe!!!!

Even though things went OK, I did note a few things that were said and done that THANK GOD the receiving person just kind of ignored or didn’t acknowledge!!! LOL

·         My mom basically telling Dustin to his face he was gaining weight, looked fat and needed to start exercising more. Dustin DID get pissed as his face turned red but didn’t say anything and just kinda walked off. J

·         Dustin picking on his feet for several minutes before going to get his plate of food while I was talking to him. I even asked him to wash his hands and he said “I already did”. NOT after he was picking at his feet.

·         Dustin telling Garrett to grow up. Garrett was standing behind him and said “I wouldn’t talk” and with his hand compared his height to Dustin’s that is well over 6” shorter than Garrett (Dustin didn’t see that) LOL

·         My mom basically giving “pocket change” to Hannah as one of her gifts that my mom thought would be the “greatest gift of the night” for whatever reason???

·         Kevin talking **** about the company he now works for “Schnucks” in what they pay, hours and how they treat employees. He is “lucky to even have a ****ing job”, I had to bite my tong there!!!!!!!

·         Back to my mom, asking Kevin and Amanda, ““so when are the two of you going to get married? I would like to see that before I die”” LMFAO I don’t know that one was funny to me but kev handled it nicely just saying “we are working on it”. J

·         Many more perhaps trivial things that you perhaps didn’t pay attention to as I know you were busy?

However, ALL IN ALL, everyone did a pretty good job ignoring each other’s stupidness as I knew would transpire. I don’t know perhaps you and I did the best by choosing to stay out it all?

The only thing I said and rightfully so was to ask my mom to “calm down a bit” on her nonstop talking and commenting and asking Dustin to wash his hands after picking on his feet for 5+ minutes. Neither did what I asked so whatever. I got my plate before he did so no biggy here. Just don’t ask me to eat any leftovers. LOL

Reason that I am telling you all this is that people are people and just roll with it when they act stupid and do foolish things. Don’t get so uptight like you do some mornings with me when I act stupid and everything will end up working out great AS A WHOLE just like the Christmas party did!!! J

Thanks for listening, glad it is all over and am looking forward to going back working with my Panic Attack Group and having a much better, more fun and enjoyable New Year!!!!

Dave

Sent: Friday, December 26, 2014 12:33 AM
To: 'Dave G.'
Subject: THANKYOU!!
Importance: High

Thank you dear for an AWESOME Christmas!!! I very much enjoyed having us all together today. And thank you for my awesome gifts, loved both of them very much!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you…..etc.

I do love you!!!

Me J

9 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've heard that expression, but I'm my own worst enemy. The alternative is using "could". Without being coy, I'd rather have a rebuttal that is more direct.
9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
A friend of mine has an expression. He tells people, "don't should me" when they tell him he should do this or that. He has told me that too when I offered to much advise. As it is I was right, but stepping on his toes as he had not asked for it. I should have waited to be asked. A failing of mine I'm afraid.

Davit.
How do you tell someone to stop giving advice? I'm grieving over the loss of my mom, and I keep hearing people, in religious settings, playing "therapist". What's ridiculous, is that one person's advice conflicts with another. There has to be a compromise between walking away and telling someone to go play in the traffic, but I'm vulnerable, and have been subjected to nonsensical remarks. At one point, I thought to myself, that I'd tell the next person that if needed advice, I'd call actor Robert DeNiro(played a mobster in "Analyze This") and ask for actor Billy Crystal's(played his therapist in the movie "Analyze This") telephone number.
On the first day of a snowfall, our neighbour has already thrown snow on my mother's flowers, weeks after she has passed away. Some people have no scruples. I'm going to warn her with a note. Then I'll put up a mesh, since their deck has open ballusters, so they can dump snow. If that doesn't work, I'll get a city bylaw person to speak to them. This took too much away from my parent's caregiving. I wonder if part of me is just being petty?
Thanks Sid, Things are beginning to clear up, but the world looks different now
9 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs,
Wishing you the best today.

Red...

What can one ask of friends, extended family when immediate family is in hospital. Two of us sibs are awfully stressed, and it's not settling as much as previous experiences. I guess I just don't feel confidant asking for help, and bearing the burden of assertion, with conflict as a result, and not wishing to see mom suffer. Any tips for being in a hospital/getting things done?
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Also, it seems like about 4 months have passed, so it's a little more awkward...
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What is a thoughtful thing to do if you find out that someone has a miscarriage, in an extended family?

Reading this thread: