Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,481 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA

Supersition & Friday 13th = obsession

12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There was a time when the common people could not read or write and did not have computers or media. Superstitions started out as guides to live by and got warped by fear. I would love to know what the basis is behind the 13th. There is nothing special about the number that makes it bad. A bakers dozen is 13. The number has been used to keep people in line. 13 steps to a hang mans noose. 13 turns of the rope to form the knot.
Fear seems to be such an unconscious conditioning of our life that I'm surprised we do not have more anxiety.

Davit.  Who is too curious to be superstitious. 
12 years ago 0 252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I personally choose to plant seeds of Hope as opposed to seeds of despair.
I choose to look to the Light side of life as opposed to the dark side of life.

Positive verses negative.

I guess this is my version of black and white thinking...Which is a very positive thing for me..
Thank God I am able to do this now....

Sid...
12 years ago 0 252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I am not superstitious about Friday the thirteenth at all..It has always been a good day for me.

I do find this thread and the last post a little creepy though..

Sid...

12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sunny,
"Lucky" for both of us, but don't the symptoms of control creep up on us without us knowing what they are, in other areas, and then take over our lives?

A member of the family spent much money on a "reading" many years ago, and that story still haunts us.  Fortunately our family didn't put any value into it.

Maybe the concerns will come out of the woodwork as we approach the friday...I don't even watch the movies, since I have enough trouble sleeping
12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi:  I am not superstitious at all.  I like some traditions - maybe at one time these traditions may have been based on some superstition.  For instance, the wedding traditions of wearing something new, something old, something borrowed and something blue. 

Sunny
12 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting topic hugs4u, interested to see what others might have to say about this one.

Samantha, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think superstition is one of the areas that I didn't get to conditioned to being impulsive, but I wonder if others havesome concerns there

Reading this thread: