Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,481 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA

How´s everybody handling this economy ?

13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I will be praying for everyone during these hard economic times.

Red.
13 years ago 0 653 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This for sure is a tough time for many people, financially, and as we all know, that can lead to other troubles such as the ones we deal with on these sites. Feel free to recommend us to others who can use our support.
However, for proper financial support, I suggest you find out if there are programs in your area from which to receive advice or assistance. Government websites for your state/province/country should have the contact listings.

Keep up with the program in the meantime. It sounds trite but it is true: things will get better!

Tiana, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 118 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I asked an educator if I could bring this topic up and I was told that it opens the site up to possible unscrupulous individuals that would take advantage of people suffering with money troubles. Well since you started the topic, I am going to throw my two cents in. One thing that can be done is if you have a high credit card balance but own your house you can get I line of credit on your house for  about 3.25%. Then you pay off all your credit cards at 21% and pay the line of credit off. The most important point here is to put away your credit cards and live on what you have.

How to plan for what you have, you should make a budget out and put down all your expenses in a month that include everything you pay for in a year. For example, property taxes if you own a home and dental care all the things you do not think about but end up paying money. Then you look at what is coming in terms of income. If your income matches, you total expenses for the year then you are ok, but one thing you should do I set aside an envelope for  every expense and how much you need to put in each month for each expense. Again, property taxes will serve as an example you may pay them all at once or as the municipality gives you a payment schedule. Every month you put in the amount needed to pay your property taxes when it comes time to paying them, you will have accumulated enough in the envelope to pay them that way no surprises.

Then with other expenses like food, you calculate how much you have to spend in a month say it $600.00. This is where thing start to become tough $600.00 may be enough to live on but it does not but you the things you like to eat. So try to stay as healthy as possible and say cut out the pop or wine expense you can always drink water.

You have to prioritize your expenses, so having a roof over your head and eating and all the expense that go with each seem to be a good place to start. Then you may have to be a Scrooge this year and not spend as much on Christmas presents, remember in Who Ville Christmas till came without the presents.

You should also put an envelope away for things that you are not preparing for there is always these types of expenses, especially if you own a home. You may get water in the basement, or other unexpected expense may come up.

In the end you have reduced your credit to as low as possible and have an envelope for everything that you spend money on in a year. You have prioritized your expenses so that you can meet you yearly expense with what is currently income that is coming in.

If things are bad, consider using the food bank as a possible resource to cut down on expenses, however you have to prove that you are paying a certain percentage of you income on a place to rent. There is no shame I going for help where it is.

Also, consider if you have two cars and only one person is working if you need the extra car right now. Or if you have one car and it is easy to get to work on transit you may want to just put the car aside for now and keep it if you can but stop paying insurance on it and all the other fun things like gas (got to love that HST).

If you are both out of work or you are on your own and you are on this site because you have agoraphobia consider applying for ODSP (Ontario Disability Support Program). You have to meet certain criteria to get ODSP such as a needs assessment and asset test. In other words, you can only have $5,000 to your name and have no income coming in or RRSP to cash in or many other assets. However, you can have a home and a car, which are exempt under assets. For one person you are likely to get about $1000.00 a month which $464 is for your home and the remaining is for basic needs like food.  You also have to be disabled enough that you cannot get a job. However, again you can work when you are on ODSP but they reduce your payments to you by 50 % of what you made in that month. I could go on forever, but you will need to look in to this yourself and see if you meet the standards assets test, income test and being disabled enough. You can look into this by Goggle Ontario Disability Support Program Income Support Directives for information about the whole program.

Another thing to consider is if you are on this site and sufficiently disabled enough to be agoraphobic you may want to apply for the Disability Tax Credit. This is a harder thing to get because it requires significantly more disability then ODSP. Such as not able to do basic daily activities, however if you are agoraphobic you may qualify because you unable to leave the house. You or your spouse can use this tax credit and you can go back 10 years if you have been suffering that long and re-file tax returns to get money back. I cannot tell you how to go about this because as the educator said someone could con you into paying them to get this tax credit and not deliver. I suggest you look up the Disability Tax Credit forms and see if you are eligible for it. I warn you know that there are sites on the internet that will do all the work for you but they want 30% of whatever they get for you and you lose $25 if nothing happens. My suggestion is that you look into it yourself first and if you think you are eligible then consult an accountant with a designation and have him or her re-file your tax return for you if you can get the disability tax credit. One final point is that you have to been disabled for ten years to go back ten years, but if you meet the requirements it can mean a significant tax reduction for your spouse because he or she can claim the disability tax credit and others if you cannot because you do not have enough income this year. I recommend that you not take my or anyone’s advice on this but do some homework and get a qualified person to do what need to be done. That means someone who is qualified about what disabilities are eligible for this credit becuase common law has extended some of the definitions on what constitutes a disability. Such as, the government says you have to disabled enough that you cannot cloth yourself. However, the courts extended this definition to mean, that to cloth yourself, you have to be able to do the laundry, this you will not find on any definition the government has on disabilities that qualify. I will not anwser any question on this thread as I said invesigate for yourself and get help if you need it from someone who is qualified.

13 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The names are both me, Andie. I e-mailed technical support about it.
13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Andie,
 I noticed that you hippie pixie and upsidedown are both signing your posts Andie.  I guess we will have to have an Andie 1 and Andie 2 that way I will know which one of you to address this post to.  Anyway as for the economy and how we are handling it.  We are being very very careful about how we spent our money and where we put it... Mostly we are worried about our grown children and grandkids and how this is going to affect all of them down the road and what the future holds for grandchildren.....

Red
13 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Someone told me 4 people have committed suicide thus far because of all the money they lost.
13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the great topic of discussion, we can all use great money saving ideas. 

I'd love to hear suggestions, tips, tricks, strategies from your fellow members!

Samantha, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
We were told to start new topics so here it is - I would think there are emotions that get stirred up.  This depression certainly has everyone on the edge of their seat.
As a property manager, I'm seeing it first hand! It's made me cry and at times angry.  I've seen proud men hang their head low when they walk thru our doors because of what they had to give up. I've seen women shake, scared of the unknown, since everything material was scooped up from beneath tham.
I have this under current of anxiety sitting in my chest area, I'm running out of Pauls' to pay Peter.   We're cutting back how we spend money at the grocery store - We'd plan great meals and purchase the ingredients without thinking that the cost adds up bigtime!!, so, although we won't give up organic, we are weening off meat, slimming recipes and being very creative. And I won't give up helping others that are more in need then we are.
My husband goes thru feelings of failure since he is supposed to be the bread winner and  because he's not providing enough, and then he remembers this is the worst he's seen in his business years.
So, tell me, what are some of your innovative ideas that others might be able to use.
Well, that's enough out of me.  I hope some of you will join in and post how you are getting thru this mess, it may give me ideas.
Thanks, Andie

Reading this thread: