Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,481 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA

In school : Geography lessons

13 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the advice teebs I think I will try what you did and sit in the classroom while there is nobody else there.
Spartan thats also the case with me I led a fullfilling life up untill I had my first attack, and now it annoys me that I can't get back to that life straight away.
Also do panic attacks cause you to question life, and if or not its real?
13 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Calum,

I had something similar in college where after a panic attack in one class I had trouble returning to it even though I was okay at my other classes - it's amazing how fast we learn fear sometimes, isn't it? One thing I found that helped was I went to that fearful classroom when class wasn't in session and just sat there for a while. That way it was a little less scary without all the other people around and after a while I began to realize it was just the same as all my other classrooms afterall!

Teebs
13 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I first experienced panic attacks in University, so I can relate to your situation. When you said, "I sit there waiting for an attack to happen...", that sounds like a chapter out of my book. I think a lot of people who experience panic attacks do that, it's part of a cycle; but you can also break that cycle.  It can be tough because there's really no "quick fix", and that's the part that I didn't like. I suggest trying out the program here, I've found it mighty beneficial and I'm still just working on Session 1 :)

Spartan

I've started the program, and are four weeks into it, I think the trigger is the fact that its a bigger class with more people in it compared to my other classes with about four or five people. And that the fact i sit there waiting for an attack to happen, which is not the best thing to do, but I find it difficult to take my mind off of them.
13 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Calum,

You can get control of the fear.  The program and this support group will help you to do that.  It takes work but you can address this.  Start with session one and work on the program step by step.

You mention you are fine in your other lessons.  What is different about the geography class? What is a possible trigger?  or What is the possible trigger thought?

Post often!  We will help you through this!

Ashley, Health Educator
I'm at school at the moment doing A levels, and I suffer from panic attacks, I am doing three subjects physics mathemartics and geography, and recently I have been avoiding my geography lessons as i get very anxious before them and end up not going to them. I have been to one or to recently but I am missing rather a lot of them, and was wondering if there is anyway i can stop the fear of going to them? I did experience a minor attack in a geography lesson a while ago but have been to them since the attack. I am fine in my other lessons.
Any ideas? 

Reading this thread: