Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

The dreaded dentist!

16 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh and btw, congratulations Lorlee on going to the dentist and it going well :) And yes a nice smile is a good motivator :) -Diva
Hiya thanks Aud, Lorlee and Casey for your support! Wow Lorlee, the adrenaline thing explains so much! I went to the dentist and am still in one piece. But I must admit right after he gave me the shots to freeze me I had to ask for a bathroom break. I went in the bathroom and did some breathing exercises to calm down. Other then that I was ok all in all. A few anxious moments but my dentist was great about it. I think he has noticed that I am a nervous person lol. But I am real happy with myself. Got through and very long appointment. Got there at 9 and did not come out till 10h50! Lot of work to do lol. But I did well, no major panic and no medication either. So all in all I am really pleased with myself. And ok so my safe person was waiting for me in the waiting room the whole time but I still feel happy with the way I handled myself. I have another appointment next week but after today I fell like next week might not be so bad since I did well today :)But next week I want to remember to bring my MP3 lol! But thanks all for the support it means a lot to me. :) -Diva
16 years ago 0 799 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Diva, You are certainly not alone when it comes to dreading dental visits! You can get through this - keep your coping mechanisms handy. Check back in when you can, Casey ______________________ The PC Support Team
16 years ago 0 165 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Diva, I too went to the Dentist this week and had work done. A little nerve-wracking but it went better than I thought. I found out that there is adrenaline in the freezing solution that they use. That could be why so many of us have such a hard time. I asked the Dentist why they put it in the solution and it turns out they do that because the freezing last longer. You can ask the Dentist to give you the freezing solution without the adrenaline in it. My Dentist chose to use it but he told me after no more than ten minutes the effect wears off and he was right. Now I could be wrong but it is my understanding that people who suffer from panic attacks can get a rush of adrenaline when having an attack which is why we get so scared, so it makes sense if we get adrenaline when we visit the Dentist that we are so afraid. I hope everything goes well for you. I know I feel I did some EXPOSURE work big time. I have 2 more more appointments to go through till I get my crown but knowing in the end I will finally have a nice smile again really helps. Best wishes!! :)
16 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good Luck Diva!!! Show us those pearly whites when you get back!
I am going to the dentist to get some work done. Now the cleaning appointment does not scare me too much. I mean it does havce many annoying weird noises but it is not so bad. Now, getting my teeth fix i don't like so much. So off I go, wish me luck :) -Diva

Reading this thread: