Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

Agoraphobia but life gives you appointments and things!

9 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have had agoraphobia for more than 10 years...so a long time.
At first I was housebound but I overcame this by basically getting out there and flooding myself, not always recommended, of course, but my boyfriend at the time threatened to leave me if I didn't tackle my fears (we didn't last, luckily!).
Now I can get out and about, on my own, with my other half but there are limits. I couldn't walk down to the shop alone, I couldn't drive on the motorway alone but I can do the most amazing things like go to a live gig, go to the cinema, take the dog for a walk in the park on my own. I consider myself partially agoraphobic but obviously still have it.
And I know why...I find it is all very well having an exposure plan, when life throws you a curve ball! I mean, let's say you are agoraphobic and you've just managed to get to the corner shop, then an appointment comes up which takes you further away. So you have leapt onto a higher stage on your hierarchy. You can't avoid it, you have to go and your anxiety is immense. Hence fluctuating agoraphobia, if that makes sense. Life surely doesn't allow you an exposure plan??? I can see it working on some fears but not all. What about emetophobia? It's not going to work on that...the only way to conquer that fear is to actually vomit (you can look at pictures, movies, even have a bucket of sick next to you but the only true way to overcome is to confront) and you can't gradually expose yourself to vomiting!
And the dentist too...certainly some dentists will allow you to gradually face your fear but if you have roaring toothache, in the chair you go...and flooding takes place! Making the fear all the worse because you haven't had the time to gradually build up to it and realise there is nothing to be afraid of (which is what this programme is all about).
I think CBT has great limitations...in that it doesn't allow for the interference of normal life.
I more so control my anxiety symptoms and thoughts, I haven't done an exposure plan and I haven't had a panic attack now for over a year.
Be interested to see what anyone thinks of this

Reading this thread: