Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,491 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

DIY - What are you working on?

12 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs,

Hilarious!!

Think of it as a shock treatment on the house....lol lol.... :-)

Red.....
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Today I printed a troubleshooting information sheet from the garage door manufacturer, so i can diagnose the problem with light bulb.

If you don't hear from me again in the near future, it would be since I forgot to unplug the power, but you'll be able to see me at the science museum showing what electirc shock can do to perfectly straight hair, tranforming it into the perfect "frizz" hairdo. 
Davit,
I love to learn, but i guess I feel pressed since there are caregiving responsibilities which are stressing me to the point where I'm questioning my ability as a caregiver.  I'm told it's a time issue, and I asked my doc if maybe I'm not a good "resource broker".  I need to remind myself that i'm in a difficult situation, not stupid, as I feel sometimes.

In the big city, it cost me 100 dollars for someone to look at the door, and he spent 30 minutes and left, adjusting the door height after the door levelling was changed by the paving during the last summer.  Thinking I would be charged, I didn't ask to have the light bulb reviewed.  Since it was brutally cold, I let him leave, and probably could have let him fix that too.  The service period was 90 minutes for that call.  I had to spend my time this morning on the phone with a pleasant agent.  I guess it's warmer inside anyway, but it's done at the expense of something else, and I wonder if my priorities are right.

Enough self-doubt, and a couple of aches and pains, and my panic cycle is triggered.  Fortuately some of you are helping me stay grounded through the forums.

12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs

It is never too late to learn something new. How are you with theory. Remember in school we learned about simple machines. The inclined plane, the wheel, the screw, the lever, I think there are a couple more. The point is that all things except computers and even them to a certain extent are based on one or more of these simple machines. So knowing this and having a little mechanical theory and you can do anything. Even a car as complicated as it is, is just a combination of these simple machines a little lubricant and the theory behind the internal combustion engine. Designing one you need to know the weight bearing capability of lubricants to get maximum life but to fix it all you need to know is when it is broke. Like CBT, it helps to know if and when it is broke and you have to remember that every thing gets wear even people. Perfectionism is repairing things before they are ready. Enjoy life and remember that even if you get it wrong it is still experience and something to laugh at. Besides you can always fix it or do it again. Even cripples like me eventually get it done. I just don't worry now how long it takes.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs:  hahaha - not a good way to get a spike hairdo....sunny
Sunny,
Thanks for responding - I didn't know you'd posted back a response, since it was so close to my post.

I feel better about that, and will try it out, making sure no plastic is loose.  Learning to cook was funny, since I used the smoke  alarm to tell me when the pizza was smoking...but I've come so far now.  I'm going to buy a new set of glassware, so I can make more casseroles, as I become more competent in the kitchen, since cooking in bulk is so convenient, so that I don't actually cook anymore, I just "heat" things up

To give myself some encouragement before I tackled the windows, I decided to try installing a new light bulb in my garage door opener, but it didn't work.  I've just spoken to their help line, and have a bunch of troubleshooting tips.

Hopefully I'll remember to disconnect the power or I won't need to spike my hair in the morning electric shock makes my hair stand on end
Hi Hugs:  Actually one of my drafty windows was a kitchen one near the stove, I'd say about 2 ft. away from it.  I had no problems with it on there as once it's on, it is tight and doesn't flap around. (thinking saftey here).  hope this helps,
Sunny
Sunny,
This is the kind that uses a hair dryer.  The real "problem" window is the one by a stove, in the chilly kitchen...it doesn't sound that I'll be able to use the stuff there, since the heat from the stovetop and oven will pull the plastic off the window.  I almost felt sorry for myself by comparing myself with you with Davit, but then Vincenza sounds like she's got something she's working on too

V,
The house is where I feel mostly overwhelmed, so it's nice to hear how you, as one of the educators share our daily struggles

12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs,

You've given me something to work on!  I also need to fix some drafty windows.
And Sunny, thanks for the tips!

Vincenza, Health Educator
Hi HUgs:  Glad you got the window covering figured out.  I've used the stuff before for my older house, drafty windows.  It was folded and I would cut out the size I needed.  I found the double-sided tape a bit of a fuss - I used to do the top first then gently pull down and do the sides, then the bottom last.  Is yours the kind you use a hairdryer on to shrink it a bit?  If so, it works well.  I found that if I did it too tight though it would eventually pull off at the corners.  Easy to fix though if it does happen.

We are planning an addition - a larger livingroom with a fireplace with french doors going out onto the deck, etc.  Lots of ideas but still at the planning stage.  I got some graph paper out and will cut out furniture to place in the room so I will know exactly where I want the fireplace.  We will be doing a lot of the work ourselves.  Should be interesting!  We might be a bit slower at this stage of our life but who cares, the journey is part of the fun.  Not pretending it will be easy, I'm sure there will be days when we are very tired or some kind of problem will arise.  

Sunny

Reading this thread: