Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,491 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Is There Value In Exposure Work While You´re Physically Unwell?

12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have to add that it was very difficult to see make the Gp's office appointment in person, since they don't answer their phones.  I was snubbed by one secretary who wouldn't open the glass  window , until I just explained to the other secretary that I can't talk to a closed glass window.  I put up with the same nonsense two days ago, and it was hard to assert myself today, since I felt unwell.

They also have signs threatening patients being delisted from the office practise if there is abuse, if you can believe this!

I think the physician had problems with his previous "mild-mannered" staff, and recruited from a martial arts academy.

This isn't the first office which is run this way, but "the heat is on" the office staffs of medical practioners, since there is a money crunch and not enough practioners, so I have to pay the price of inconvenience and travel if I wish to change doctors.

I literally have to walk only two blocks to see my doc, so this is the compromise.  My appointment is a month away, but I'll sleep better knowing I'll see someone.
I try to do the minimum daily in a number of areas to maintain some momemtum, even though it might seem minimal.  Today in the financial planning area, all I did was reframe a question.  That is important to simplify and proceed with the tasks that follow.

I feel okay with baby steps in some areas, and expect more in areas where I'm proficient.  I thought it would be easy to patch a tire, before going to a service station, but I couldn't see the shard of glass and nail in the tread.  I just forget sometimes that I don't have the mobility I had to get on my hands and knees.  I also tried filming the tire, but I could see inside the tread.  So that day, I just had to take it to the dealer, and wait forever.  To see my doc, I had to take the scenic route though, since I ran out of time and had to take the car instead of public transit.  I felt okay taking the scenic route although I think it wasn't okay with every impatient driver who must I have thought I was "driving miss daisy".

I did manage to get help with a nurse telling me to track my problem so I'm prepared when I see my GP.  As for the physcial problems, they've gone, with some of nurse's help on how to monitor the illness(or pseudo-illness if I'm in the panic cycle).
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
We know my thoughts on exposure so I can't advise you on this one. But I think you answered your own question.

What do you feel you should do since you feel you need some sense of accomplishment?

Davit.
I've been going through some physical illness recently, and it's intermittent.  Is there value in continuing exposure work, irregardless of how I feel physically?

I usually take it easy, since I think I'll recover more quickly.  Also, since exposure work is a form of relearning, I usually want to be as present as possible.  I don't find I learn well if I'm feeling poorly.

I also don't wish to associate feeling unwell with exposure, since I figure I'd be discouraging myself from the social activity in the future, since I'll remember the physical bad feelings, and the excercise will backfire by teaching me that what i'm trying to learn is unpleasant.

On the other hand, I could learn to socialize, and not be focused on my mood.

It looks like I'm going to feel this way for a while, but I like to have some progress in most activities, since most things have a social aspect.

I try to think of low-energy things when I'm feeling this way, and wish to list them.  eg. I'm overdue for a haircut(the local squirrels looks sexier); I could get my nails done(but I don't want the FBI following me after I meet the good looking flirty Asian nail technician since she could be an international plant);etc

Any opinions, thoughts, theories?

Reading this thread: