Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Lynn123

2024-03-18 10:20 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-17 1:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 6:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Myth or Fact

2024-02-23 3:25 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 1 1

Most Loved

Browse through 411.740 posts in 47.052 threads.

160,396 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GRHODA MAUI MARIE, Enordin, IRN, MNICOLE, AYNA NICOLE

What would be my exposure?

13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations Kendra!!!

I just knew you could do it!!

Red
13 years ago 0 11209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations Kendra!

I am so proud that you did it! This is a big deal and I don't want you to forget that.  Your new workplace sounds great!

What have you learned about yourself while going through this?

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kendra,
Great to hear you had a great first day! 

13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kendra:  I am so happy for you.  This place sounds friendly and inviting.  I'm glad you remembered all of us here, extending our hands for support.  I used that visualization once when I needed it and it worked.  Remember to give yourself a reward for coming so far, maybe this wknd. you could give yourself a real treat for the week's work you have done.
13 years ago 0 250 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
First off, I want to say thanks so much! I did my first day today and it went really well. I thought of all the people who were supporting me, including all of you here. I did it. I admitted right away that I was nervous and that broke the ice.
Every day will be one day at a time. I am hoping things will keep going good, but I am trying to not think too far ahead or have any expectations. For sure one day at a time. They said I wouldn't be expected to know everything for at least 6 months and even then no one will be alone, it is all team! Which is a lot less pressure. 
Another woman started today too. She was very nice. And I think having another new person helped. At the other job that I quit after one day, they were rude and didn't bother even saying much to me. My new job, the people introduced themselves and talked to me. Way better experience.

I think I will be ok as long as I continue with this program and hang around on the support board. I like it here :)

Take care,

Kendra

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kendra

We will be here for you and we will be with you in mind tomorrow. Just remember that and reach out to us any time you need to we will be there. Here is my hand on it take it and hang on to it. You can do this, I have faith in you but remember what ever happens we will still be here for you.

Davit.
13 years ago 0 250 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you everyone for your input and ideas. 
I wish I did this program weeks ago!
It's funny, but I suppose I am working with my top fear tomorrow! Not very gradual but I am not sure I have any choice. We do need the money. My husband is being very good about it but I know our lack of money is getting to him.

I suppose I am jumping into the deep end. I hope I can use this program as my floaters :)

I will let everyone know how tomorrow goes. Take care everyone, and I hope all of your work is going well too. 
13 years ago 0 659 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kendra,

I like your idea of just going for it.  You really have nothing to loose and a lot to gain if it works out.  You can always work on the program when you get home from work.  You will never know until you try.
 I am retired and can't respond to the question about taking time off of work to work the program, even so being agoraphobic for me is kind of like I took time off from the world and pretty much everyone in it forever.  I have signed up for a class and think I know what you mean about the anxiety and avoidance.  At this point if I don't go I will have anxiety and if I go I will have anxiety.  I tried shopping for supplies while I was in the class signing up and it got to be to much that day.  I was upset by this at first and than realized this was ok.  I could not let this set me back.  I am still going to the class on the 15th and I am going to see how it goes. It usually gets easier after a few days.  If I don't go I will never know.  When doing exposure like this or starting a new job maybe it would be easier if you broke it down into steps. Also I find a distraction helps me to relax and takes my mind off of the anxiety.  Like I was really getting worked up about starting this class after I signed up but couldn't stay in the store to buy supplies and thinking about it now is stirring me up a little. So what I have done to deal with this anxiety is get involved in a little distractions like reading, watching a dvd, sewing etc.  You get the idea.  I find this helps me to relax and not over think things so that way I do not get into the what If type of thinking and can dispel it.
I hope this information helps you in some way and know you are not the only one dealing with these anxieties and fears. We are all here trying to help each other through this.

Good luck Kendra I will be rooting for you today and tomorrow. 

Red

13 years ago 0 11209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kendra,

Davit is right, try to be easy on yourself.  Managing anxiety does not happen over night.  Try not to put too much pressure on yourself.  That being said, you have to decide what is best for you in this situation. 

You mentioned that avoiding is "just so easy".  I would like to challenge this assumption, although it might be easier in the short term but long term the stress, guilt, lowered confidence, etc., etc. may actually make it the hard way out!  What are your thoughts on this?

Members, please share you insight? Have you had experiences with taking time off work due to anxiety? If so, what was the result?

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Personally, I have not found it to be a good idea in my line of work to divulge info about health issues i am dealing with except to tell people I am dealing with some health issues and getting help to address them. In the past, when things get bad for a few days, that is pretty much exactly what I say, to which people are not able to be jerks about it (i.e. judgmental). They don't know what specific health issues I am referring to and it is really I think too much detail to tell them it is about anxiety.

I think that telling people you are managing some stress right now might be a better idea than saying a lot aobut axiety and panic. If someone hears that and they don't know you very well yet, they may judge you. Just my 2 cents. I wanted to say that I do'nt think we can assume all employers are knowledgeable or sympathetic about employee health issues. I read something recently that was about telling someone something personal, wait and check their response, and then decide if you will proced or not with telling them more. Basically figuring out if you can trust them with this info or not. Giving people you work with personal information may not be a good idea. It depends how much they know and how professional they are and whether they will feel they have to make decisions about shifts, workload projects for you based on this info. 

If they are understanding, all the better of course. I"ve had one understanding supervisor and yes it makes a big difference.

Reading this thread: