Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

*Help* Any Suggestions for Everyday Panic?

8 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome!

I am glad you found us. I am sorry to read you have been dealing with a lot of difficult symptoms. The good news is that panic and anxiety disorders can be treated. Cognitive Behaviour Therapy(CBT) is the most evidence based treatment for anxiety. CBT is what this program is based on - I encourage you to get started on it and take your time working through each section. You might want to start with the section on relaxation techniques. I find box breathing very helpful and I use it often.

How are you doing today? 
Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I too am new to this. What works best or me is activity. If I wake up in the middle of the night with a panic attack, I have to get up and walk around till it goes away. Saying I'm not dying or going crazy doesn't help because I don't think that. Btw, you're certainly not crazy. I'm somewhat like you, would be a lot like you if I wasn't active (maybe we're both anxious but you obsess/worry more about it.) When anxious during the day, I also get active, generally walk around a lot in my job, can do different things, forget anxiety when busy, interacting with others. When anxious as a student, you could walk to lib, study something else, focus on book or lecture in class, study with others, run, bike, go to gym... Panic center exercises, talking to others, activities could help you. And seeing someone, I saw a doc when I had frequent panic attacks, asked for something to stop them (like Xanax,) she refused, just gave me Zoloft. It took awhile to become effective but I only take 25 mg and seems to stop attacks but did not help with anxiety, hard to know if it would help you and drugs are hard to stop. Talking and listening helps. I read Scott Stossel's My Age of Anxiety (google for magazine article or book,) it helped to put my lesser anxiety in its place. Some anxiety is something to live with. I was offended when someone called me neurotic long ago, now I consider people like me more interesting and aware than boring people. Take care, Patrick
8 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello everyone, 
I'm new to the Panic Center so I don't know if this is the right area to post this so please let me know! For the past few months I have been having a really hard time. I have always been an anxious person with very particular situations that caused me to feel uncomfortable. But a few months back I started not feeling good. I noticed a lot of  physical symptoms like feeling like something was stuck in my throat, headaches, pain at the base of my head, nausea, heartburn/chest pains, dizziness, guilty feelings, butterflies/sinking in my stomach, and a anticipatory feeling that I can only really describe as living in a horror movie. Needless to say, I thought I was dying. I kept insisting it was medical, all the while my mom and sister were telling me that it was anxiety (because they have it too). I even saw doctors about the symptoms and it all came back to anxiety. I didn't want to believe it and then I started getting these awful thoughts and imagining myself doing terrible things and I felt so afraid that I was loosing my mind. I also got these waves of panic about things I have said or done or thought and sat analyzing them over and over. I was terrified and felt dread constantly, I waited for the thoughts and feelings only to bring them on tenfold and have crying spells until I could convince myself they were "anxiety thoughts" or "anxiety feelings." I have been dealing with this since around June. I feel that it is a little more controlled but not much. I get the physical symptoms everyday around the same time and then the anxious thinking follows. The symptom that is the worst to me is the "scary movie" feeling. I feel like I have read everything on the internet about anxiety and I ended up here because how I'm feeling feels so much more intense then my regular ol' anxiety. I feel that I fall more in the panic bracket and rather than searching for articles I feel like hearing from real people might be more helpful. I am open to suggestions and if you want to know any other info about my panic feelings feel free to ask. Sorry for such a long post, I tried to keep it as short as possible. I would love to hear from anyone who can give me some insight or share their stories for piece of mind to know that I am not going crazy.

Reading this thread: