Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

When exposure therapy doesn´t work

8 years ago 0 121 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'll stick with CBT then.
8 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
DBT =Dialectical behaviour therapy was first created for treating individuals with borderline personality disorder. However, some of the elements can be used for other disorders like anxiety and depression. I am not sure on the research base behind this though.  DBT is a form of CBT however, it focuses a lot on mindfulness, acceptance and dialectical thinking.  CBT has the most research base - which means more studies have been conducted that show significant improvement after treatment for anxiety sufferers. All the elements in this program are based on CBT.  Ashley, Health Educator
Could you tell me more about DBT and CBT?
Thank you Ashley. I've never heard of ACT before. 
I remember you writing about this when I lived out in AZ. It's always confused me so can you clarify. You state exposure therapy is flawed. I see that myself. Yet the programme here uses exposure therapy. I remember you also stating small steps in exposure therapy work. Could you please clarify for me? 

If exposure therapy doesn't work what will?
I'm not a type A.
8 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi MeganIsBack,

If exposure is not working for you I would suggest talking to a therapist who specializes in anxiety disorders. There are other options like mindfulness based CBT, Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT), Dialectical behaviour therapy(DBT),  and others. Prior to settling on a therapist determine what treatments they tend to offer and what they recommend for you. Some therapist only use CBT while others may use a variety of different treatments. A doctor or therapist will also help by examining other underlying issues that may be effecting the anxiety - other physical or mental health issues may also need to be treated. If cost is an issue for you, look into resources within your community. Sometimes there are group programs that can be attended with little to not cost. There is also often counselling services that can be accessed aswell. Let us know what you find out.

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You do CBT since unless you are a type "A" exposure therapy doesn't work. The theory behind it is flawed.

So what do you do when exposure therapy does not work?

Reading this thread: