Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Lynn123

2024-03-18 10:20 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-17 1:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 6:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Myth or Fact

2024-02-23 3:25 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 1 1

Most Loved

Browse through 411.740 posts in 47.052 threads.

160,396 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GRHODA MAUI MARIE, Enordin, IRN, MNICOLE, AYNA NICOLE

Can't handle the news or negative info

16 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have stopped watching the news or reading newspapers. I like to focus on positive things. I do stay informed on things but I try to pick and choose what I want to know and why... Anyway, thanks for putting this out there. I agree, negative info all the time is depressing and can make people anxious. -Diva
16 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HI Jen, I feel the same way. lol...actually I almost had to stop reading your post! If I really need to watch the news or find out whats going on I try to avoid newspapers or news channels. I like to watch The Daily Show with Jon Stewart or something with humor. This makes it easy on me.
16 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great suggestion Maggie, Jen try to stay focused on positive events, reinforcing these will help make the news a little more enjoyable and not as much of a stressor. Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, yes and yes I do know how you feel. One thing I have learned that has helped me, and this may help you (hopefully), is that I have learned not to take ownership of that misfortune for someone or something. OK, it's sad, you can acknowledge it, and respect it, but don't take ownership of it. Just try and move on to something totally different to get your mind off it. It's hard at first, but don't dwell on it. Just try it, it does work. I hope this helps.
16 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Is there anyone else out there that feels they can't handle the news or any negative information in general? It's never been this bad for me before... Everywhere I turn it seems there are scary and disturbing stories on TV, in newspapers, magazines, on the radio, on the internet, or by word of mouth (ex "Did you hear about...?"). Hearing about fatal car crashes on nearby roads, someone I know of dying, a scary health stories, etc just about have me living with anxiety every minute. I've tried to limit these sources, but it's impossible to not hear things. Anyone in the same boat?

Reading this thread: