Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

When did your anxiety symptoms start?

3 years ago +1 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 1

Ashley -> Health Educator @ Jul 8, 2018 1:29:17 AM

Hi Everyone,
Some people with anxiety say they have had issues with anxiety since they were children, other people say their symptoms started after a big life event or change. When did your anxiety symptoms start? What do you think may have triggered the anxiety symptoms?
I am curious to read about everyone's experience with anxiety.

Ashley, Health Educator

My anxiety had started after I had an agressive episode of syncope it was a random onset.
Basically my heart was not beating the way it should have, I was having trouble remaining conscious and had to be rushed to the hospital via Ambulance. Since my release from the hospital I have been referred to cardiology had a heart monitor twice. My first night home when the night hit I would stay up all night because I was so scared I was going to die if I went to sleep. As soon as I started to notice light outside that's when I would try to sleep for a few hours because I knew my household would be awake and able to pay attention to me incase something bad were to happen. I would become easily startled or have meltdowns due to the slightest things. I started to notice I was scared to go outside and had no desire to even eat. I have had some drastic weight loss due to this episode. I was lucky if I could even eat 10 pieces of dried cheerios. I was fine without eating to be completely honest but I knew that would not be good for me nutrition wise. I would have a melt down when my mom would try to get me to go outside for fresh air. I basically had to re-train myself how to live life like I normally would all over again in a weeks time. It still remains a struggle. When I had to go back to work that was the hardest because I really did not want to go. I was still trying to deal with and overcome the feeling of my body feeling completely drained from the whole syncope episode and all the anxiety that came with it. The worst week of my LIFE I had stomach pain for hours uncontrollable anxious feeling. I was scared to the point were I felt it was not okay for me to laugh or enjoy. Eventually I reached out to my GP and requested that he refer me to a psychiatrist so I could try and get a diagnosis. Considering I am still waiting for some information from the cardiologist my diagnosis has been postponed until a further date.

5 years ago +4 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 1

I have had anxiety for as long as I can remember. I was diagnosed in 2008 with OCD, Panic Disorder, Imposter Syndrome and Agoraphobia (although the agoraphobia was temporary).

Long story short, disorder is often the root cause of my anxiety. A lack of control of any situation can also cause panic. I also find being the centre of attention something I don’t handle well. I find the last part strange because I have no problem with presentations or teaching people, but when someone is recognizing more doing a good job or congratulating me, I start to feel panicked.  

As for my symptoms, since I have OCD my symptoms include obsessive thinking and compulsions to do something to relieve the anxiety around that obsessive thought (I am really simplifying this). For example, when I am recognized at work for a job well done, I will obsess over the people staring at me. My thoughts are often things like “they are all looking at you” and “they are going to find out the truth that you don’t really belong here”. Since I am unable to leave, I will tap my fingers equally over and over until it feels just right.

I am a completionist (yes, I know that isn't really a word). Like a protectionist feels the need to go over something until they feel it is perfect (which often they never do) I feel I must complete anything that has been started. For example, I am finding it very difficult to join this community. There are so many forums with threads that have not been read. Every time I come in, I feel I must read each thread in chronological order. On good days (like today) I can get past this compulsion, while on other days I cannot and will spend hours reading through things that are not of any use to me.

I also find disorder a cause for anxiety. In fact, I have recently discovered that this disorder has been a leading factor into regular panic attacks (a story for another day). The overwhelming feeling to find or create order can be debilitating. For example, when my house is messy to the point I am bumping into things (like the kid’s toys) I become angry and pull out a garbage bag to throw things out. But when I start, I find that I need to separate the items into categories. The result is a bigger mess with me in a ball on the floor.

I will also create lists. Anything kind of list from To Do lists to lists of items we have in a certain part of the home. I do this at home and at work. Although the lists, like my attempts to organize things, is a way of relieving the anxiety, I am often spending hours creating and perfecting the lists I make. Of course, once they are made, I then feel it necessary to complete or reduce the list.

To summarize, I often create my own anxiety when attempting to reduce my own stress and anxiety. 

5 years ago +2 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 1

Hi Takpa,

It's common for people to say their symptoms started out of the blue. That must have been very nerve wrecking for you! What was happening in your life when the symptoms started? What makes you anxious now that didn't make you anxious before?

5 years ago +1 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

It started 1 year back suddenly without any warning.

5 years ago +2 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 1

Hi Everyone,

Some people with anxiety say they have had issues with anxiety since they were children, other people say their symptoms started after a big life event or change. When did your anxiety symptoms start? What do you think may have triggered the anxiety symptoms?

I am curious to read about everyone's experience with anxiety.

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: