Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

What ifs

13 years ago 0 221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Great discussion members!

Helena, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone:  I agree with Davit.  It has its place.  Once in awhile for something is o.k. but every day or every time you feel anxious is not the answer.  My opinion only, best to ask the doctor for yourself.  The CBT program is what helps you understand and change your fear pattern and teaches you coping techniques.

Juanita:  I bet you're going to do just fine.  You understand and are using all the skills.  Good luck.

Your friend, Sunny
13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Juanita

I have a large clump of French Teragon, I'll have to try using it with chicken, or something.
It is perfectly okay to use ativan for a flight. The sublingual one works in minutes so you don't need to do it till the last minute, just remember it has a one hour half life and is only good for four hours max. I would do it if it meant getting some where important. I just do not want to see anyone using it every time or for long term. It does have its place though.

Here for you 
Davit
13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit.....I guess you won't do that again!! what a sin! You actually dry your own spices? Wow! your food must taste so fresh. I even notice the difference now that I can afford decent spices, not the dollar store ones I used to buy!(no offense but I really see the difference) Esp. tarragon. I make a delicious  tarragon chicken
 Ofcourse you are right again....the more we worry about something the longer it stays and builds. I'm dertermined not to waste any of my time worrying about it. I have lots of other things to think about...like the city next week. I'm already using my positive thinking to help get prepared.
Oh, as for the ativan...it was so strange...I was me still, but calm. My hubby loved it..haha....he's going to get me on  a plane yet!
Juanita
Juanita

Thank you for the post. I have had those jagged lines and the split vision. I thought it was something bad but the doc shrugged it off. He said it was okay but never explained what it was. I happens seldom and takes from two minutes to a half hour of sitting calm with my eyes closed to get rid of it. It depends how anxious I am. Well now thanks to your post I know what they are.  Ha Ha Ativan doesn't make you stoned and in that situation it is the drug of choice. Dependance doesn't start till after a month. It just is too easy to stay on it and there in lies the problem. I truly believe that like all forms of panic and stress the more you worry about them the longer they stay. The jagged lines have never happened to me twice in a row. Once passed they stay passed.

A little laugh for you: I was drying ceyenne pepper and some wasn't quite dry enough so I put it in the microwave just to remove the last bit of moisture. It caught on fire and filled the kitchen with smoke. I tryed to open a window but had to go outside. My eyes and nose were running and I couldn't stop coughing and gagging. Won't do that again.

Here for you,
Davit
13 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Juanita:  Just a little bump in the road for you, I think.  You did great with the positive thinking.  Yea, I'd cough with pepper flakes too.  I can't eat 'em at all.  I had a spoonful of hot Thai soup one day, and that was enough for me.  eeeeks, don't know how people can eat it.  I guess you have to get used to it slowly.
I'm glad you are getting out and about with the monitor on and getting your hair done will be a nice reward.  I didn't like the monitor either, but at the end, because everything was o.k. it made me feel great!  So hoping it will be the same for you.
Glad the migraine didn't last.  .

Your friend,
Sunny 
13 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Everyone,
Wow! I'm not big into poems, but one of the few I remember from school is" If". My fav line in it is.....if you can meet with triump and disaster and treat those two imposters just the same.....
How appropriate for me at this time. As I sit here with my B/P monitor on...all day and night..
 Davit....wonderful discussion, I do believe its because we just don't realise we are doing it.
You're avatar is stunning..Wow!
.I had a recent experience which  I turned from disaster to triump...in a small way. I want to share it.
Last Sat eve I was at work..it was super busy, but that's normal at times....I had choked and coughed on my first bite of chili at supper, so I put it away. But around 8 pm I was really hungry, so I gave it another try... only to have 3 bites and start choking/coughing again. So I got some milk and a bisquit, stopped choking.....but....then.....
 I went into a migraine. My  symptoms are the "aura"...flashing zig-zags all over my field of vision. 
 I haven't had a migraine for over 20 years..... since  I have  learnt here about my negative core beliefs...and know that my previous migraines brought on  my anxiety  disorder..in my mind........long story there.....you see, I always thought
I was misdiagnosed, and I actually had something way worse happen to me than a migraine, since I only ever had 3 or 4 with in a year....then no more, ever... and never with the pounding headache you hear about...I waited and watched for them for over 10 years,(anxiety!!) but time eventually took care of that constant fear, athough it lay in the back of my mind.
So, imagine my fear when I start into the zig-zag flashing lights after choking. I thought for sure I was a goner....at least  at first....
I called my supervisor, and she gave me one of my ativan...and then another..they are only 0.5 mgs...First time I ever took an ativan. I called hubby to come and get me.....within half and hour, and much soul-bearing to my Florence Nightengale(my supervisor the sweetheart) they were gone. I came home, and rested. Other than a dull headache I was fine yesterday, did my daily routine as usual. And this morning I went and had the B/P cuff put on me.
So, the moral of this story is:
I thougth for years.."what if I ever have a migraine again"..surely, it will kill me. I thought...." what if I have to take ativan..surely I will become an addict"...in reality...I had a migraine, I took ativan, and I'm alive and doing well.
It's  hard for me to write what happened down, to really express how far I've come from making everything a disaster to being able to cope.. I wish I had Davit's ability with words!
..I only think positive thoughts now like..wow! its going to be another 20 years before I have another migraine....etc...not be on the lookout for them....but...haha..just in case....none of us know...  I went shopping today and got lots of nice things for myself....after I get this thing off tomorrow I'm getting my hair done....
And, the ativan did not make me stoned or anything..which I worried about...I just feel like my migraine was kind o f sureal..which is good...so I don't obsess over it...anyhow, I have to go..hope I didn't bore you all too much...
oh, in case your'e wondering, hubby made the chili...he put pepper flakes in it!!!! Why?? He said he even choked on it! ...hmmm....hahaha
Juanita

Dizzy

I am glad it helped. When I first learned this thing about "if" it was such a revelation all I could do was look at the floor and smile. What a simple thing but so powerful. Almost scary :-)

Here for you,
Davit
13 years ago 0 118 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit

I just did an interesting experiment today I was challenging a particularly hard thought for me and was using the negative thought sheet. As you can imagine the negative evidence side piled up against the positive evidence. I was challenging the thought this morning and got pretty mad at how much evidence there was for the negative thought. So I put it away and came back to it this afternoon. I looked at what you said and my reply and decided to put a WHAT IF beside the negative evidence that could take the form of a what if statement. This drastically reduced the of negative evidence to a few if I took out the what if that I applied.

thank you for this

Dizzy
13 years ago 0 63 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
One of the best post I ever read. I like to read post that encourage me and make me think. Good point...very positive!

Reading this thread: