Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Emotions

9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Home hardware sells electric snow blowers and electric shovels. I've used the electric shovel. I even did steps with it.

Davit
9 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wonder if it's even worth the trouble, since there are few major snowfalls, now. The brand Toro is available, but I don't know who manufactures their motor. It would be the brand which a friend has used, and at the big box store. It seems threatening to have to learn something with my brain on "ice". If I don't make a decision though, there won't be inventory, and I'll be feeling the aches in my ligaments, as I have in the past. On the other hand, I don't need to rush to get anywhere, any longer. Securing it in the city in an old wooden garage is an issue though. So my plan is to use aircraft wire, threaded through a cinder block. Professionals can get to anything though, if they really want.
Hugs

For me the decision on anything with a small engine would be the brand. I would take which ever had a Honda engine because of reliability and mostly that is due to their carburetor. Briggs and Stratton and Techumse both have carburetor problems. Otherwise the motors run good. Honda is just more reliable. Nothing worse than a motor that doesn't run right or won't start.

Davit
9 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It's going to be a challenge making a decision around a snowblower. A friend has a used one, and I can afford a new one. The haze I'm in due to grieving is clouding the issue of making decisions, so there are clean "facts". Even on a good day it used to be difficult to make decisions. The hospital system dragged me down though, and maybe the lessons I learned there - to not procrastinate; to stand my ground; to be close to our personal values, can lead me to the right decision. I've pretty well decided to store the car tires at the dealer, since it's such a chore moving them around, so maybe I've begun to think better.
Another version would be. The dog bit me, but it is the past, the dog can not come into the future and bite me, I have no need to fear other dogs. When I see a dog I will be "concerned but not worry". Fact, the dog is not dangerous just because I think it is. Fact, not all big dogs are dangerous. Fact, the first time was my fault. I will give the dog the benefit of the doubt till it proves me wrong. Emotions to add, sad that I got bit (because it was my fault) Happy, because I need not fear dogs. Or panic situations for all the above reasons. Emotions not to use, anger because I got bit, fear that it could happen again. Doubt because I do not know. Of course you can not know, the dog has a mind of it's own.  I will think of possibilities, in other circumstances the dog could have been friendly and I could have pet it instead of getting bit. The past does not have to dictate the future, it can be different.

Knowing the above you can then think positive when you think of dogs, I can think (visualize) in my mind the dog is friendly, the dog is wagging it's tail because this is a thought, just a fact about it being a dog. It will be as dangerous as I make it and how dangerous I make it depends on the emotion I attach to the fact (thought) This is a thought of a dog, there is no actual dog here so I can see the thought anyway I want to. Same with a panic attack. The trigger is just a fact till I make it more. 

Of course the natural tendency would be to think fear if I was bit so repetition is important. I am cautious around dogs because when I was eight a Great Dane knocked me down and dragged me off by the hood of my parka. He was bigger than me but I soon got too heavy. I owned dog teams so I have good memories of dogs, not so with all dogs though so emotions are important to prevent negatives. One experience does not make a law yet one experience often is enough to start a core belief. 

Davit.
9 years ago 0 219 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Keep the fact itself factual with no emotion/s. Add positive repetitive emotion and it becomes harmless. 

Example: I was bitten by a neighbors dog when I was 9 years old. It was a big mean dog. When I see a big dog, I think of when I was 9 years old and then think this big dog is going to bite me. 

Fact: I was bitten by a big dog because I was taunting it with a stick and it felt threatened. Add positive emotion, the dog is wagging his tail, it does not feel threatened by me. 

I hope I got this one figured out right.

Everything in memory is just a fact. Facts are harmless until we add emotions then they come alive and have direction. 
Emotions are added according to how they were in the past. So if a memory of a fact pops up because of a trigger you will attach the same emotion memory to it and if that emotion is fear you are setting yourself up for a panic attack. That simple. The solution therefore would appear to be to duplicate it as a fact and add a different emotion. If emotions can be thought of as thought patterns then this would be CBT. I do this and it works. Repetition is what conditions memory. Repetitive adding the same positive emotion will make the thought harmless.

Davit

Reading this thread: