Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Preparing for your doctor’ appointment

15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
wildcat,

You present such a great attitude. As you said, through it all, you and your chouette have been the anchor.
I agree, that what others see and assume is mostly beyond your control, so, don't worry about it!
It seems like you are staying strong, so keep up the good work! You are a true inspiration

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
thanks goofy... over the years my mother in law has come to appreciate some of my qualities.
My pushy bossiness has worked to her benifit ... at her sisters' funerals I took the grand kids to Macdo's to let the sons and daughter be with mom... I made sure she was never alone more than two nights in a row when her husband was at the hospital -  even if it meant my husband had to listen to the changes in their intimate live that gave him the chilly-willies... 
My know it all .. has explained how to be of support to her husband thru his anxiety attacks and the other daughter in law's depression ...

I am not warm and inviting when you first meet me.  I tend to be cold and distant... I need to protect myself.   So this first impression might have marked my mom in law way back when... also i was chouette's first and only girl-friend. He never brought anyone else home. His parents hoped he shop a bit ... with no sampling!

The past 5 years have been hard on the in-laws.  Their world has turned up-side-down! and all the rules of the game of life according to the good has been stretched.  My chouette and me have been the anchor in a lot of turmoil. Even with this illness which makes things less than perfect!  One who had given up a vocation. One who is shacked-up-with-kids. Another in the process of -divorce-.  

So through it all!  I know there is a process.  there is change and I will always be.  I will be me it is how others interpret my actions that changes.  I am no more no less a person.  I am what I always was and what I always will be.  I will learn and might will have my journey to follow... but what others see and assume is "mostly" beyond my control.
I will see what my pharmacist provides.  I failed to mention the mood chart.  However, my psychiatrist has the format he prefers and return it to him when I see him.  I also provide to my therapist.

I am sorry to hear of the marital issues.  It seems as if your mother-in-law is the one with the problem.  You must consider the source of the information.  You are worthy of being loved and by the man you choose irregardless of what anyone thinks.  Except him of course - and apparently you are his choice.  Mothers and their sons  - I am the mother of an adult male and I feel if he loves her, I love her.  I would not sacrifice my relationship or the quality of my relationship with my son over the love of his life.  Kudo's to you and your husband for you marriage and the hard work it takes despite the issues!  Not many  marriages make it these days and to have found someone who is willing to hold true the vows (whatever they may be) are two truly very special people. 

Be good to yourself - you deserve the best.

Hi Brenna,
1-
I guess I am lucky in some ways.. my pharmacist belongs to the Proxim chain and has all these "free" booklets. I use the one for general health and stick my prescriptions on a page with the why I take each.  So in case of emergency, the dr has the who, the what, the who much, and the why. 

2-
it is not the depression that is a problem to talk about ... it is the triggers. 
A) I am sucidal this time because I feel like I am not doing my share of the work at my job.  The others are over loaded stay late and manage to get it all done.  I go round in dumb spirals and lose all my energy in a panic and get very little done ... I am dumb like a box of rocks.  They would be better hiring a competent worker who deservers to work and be paid for results.  -It is humiliating-
B) My mother in law has been passing negative comments for the past 12 years. i was never her first nor best choice for her precious little boy.  But I was the one he loved, the one he still loves.  And when I am tired and at wits end, I think maybe she is the one who is right and we are wrong.  she is the one who see clear and we who are in the emotional cloud.  Perhaps without me the -after the separation grief- they would be better with out me...
-it is too painful to think about let alone voice-

Sometimes it is just easier to ignore and get on with the routeins of life.
What i have found that has helped me are the bipolar I mood charts.  They give me the half way point to meet the dr.  And they give him the proper questions to ask...

The site should have a few choices of monthly/weely charts to print off....
I try to keep ALL the doctor's on the same page (pun intended).  I have a type written page of medications I take, who prescribed them, the dosage, frequency and time taken. I include OTC medications as well.

The next section is health issues that I have and I give an update on each of the issues for each of the doctors (gp, gastroenterologist, psychiatrist, gynecologist and if others arise).  I highlight the area specific to the issues of the speciality of the doctor that I am seeing that day.  i.e. if I am going to psychiatrist I highlight the issues related to my depression and anxiety and update it for each session (all the symptomology, if it's worse, my activity level, etc.)

The next section is about issues going on in my life.  I write key words and phrases and try not to write a book.  Just to give them the jest of circumstances that may be effecting my life.

The final section is for appointments.  When I have an appointment with which doctor, time and date and their specialty area.
I always date this for each appointment. 

This helps me to remember what is going on in my life.  I don't have to worry about forgetting something or getting confused about things.  Each doctor expresses that they are very happy to have this.  They ask about issues specific to the visit with them; however, they have bought into the concept of a wholistic approach and are aware of what is going on with each doctor/issue.

It works for me, maybe it will work for you!
Goofy

15 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,   Most people are a little uncomfortable about speaking to their doctor or health care professional about depression or anxiety. Sometimes people are intimidated by their doctor's training and knowledge. Sometimes people feel that their doctor is too busy to listen.   Other people don't want to bother their doctor with a problem that is "too small" or "too silly." Most people are embarrassed to admit that they have a problem with depression and some feel that if they have to get help for depression, then they must be "weak," "defective" or "broken." For all of these reasons, and more, people often decide to avoid talking to their doctor about important health problems. In fact, many people walk away from their doctor's office without having talked to their doctor about what they really intended to talk about.   You may be nervous or uncomfortable about discussing your depressive/anxious symptoms with your doctor. Your anxiety about talking to your doctor may also prevent you from getting the help you need.   Some people might have grown up thinking that if they get depressed or anxious they should just "snap out of it" or "tough it out," so they become embarrassed to bring it up. But now we know that major depression and panic disorder are serious mental health problems that results in much pain, suffering, lost opportunity, and many long-term effects on your physical health and personal relationships. Your doctor knows that depression and panic are serious problems.   When you start getting anxious about discussing your depression or panic with your doctor, remember these facts:   •    Your doctor is not too busy to listen to your concerns about your health.
•    Your doctor wants to help and has been trained to do so.
•    Your concerns are not "too small" or "too silly"
•    Depression is NOT your fault. It is NOT a sign of personal weakness   Most people say that getting help for their depression or panic was the hardest thing they ever did. Most people also say that getting help for their depression or panic was the best thing they ever did. Talking to your doctor is the first step towards better health. Most people feel at least a little better right away, just from telling their doctor about their problem.
If you are like many others and are uncomfortable talking to your doctor about your concerns, it might help to take our Depression or Anxiety Tests, and then take your results in to your doctor.   Are you feeling nervous about talking to your doctor about your symptoms?   Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: