Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

I there a connection.

10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Right on Davit!

This is a perfect example of using the internet for something useful..

Red..

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm helping a lady do some plumbing with the use of photos and Email. This a good use of technology and what it is supposed to be for.

Davit
We have had many children and teenagers commit suicide here in the States because of cyber bulling. There have been two new cases in the last couple of weeks..It is becoming common place now..It is very sad for the young people coming up now..They have all this technology but it is helping them or killing them. I worry about my grandchildren and what effect it is having on them..My eight year old granddaughters showed me her favorite song on the internet when I was visiting her..The song is titled  "If I die young"..The singer of this song and her family her brother think this is just fine and just grand to put a song like this out their for all her young female admirers to listen to..She takes no responsibility in her role as a role model for these little girls..I think The world wide web is a very dangerous and evil place for our young people..My grandchildren are required to have a iphone or ipad for school. There teachers have them do research on class on these machines and the teachers do not hand out school assignments in class anymore, you have to have a printer at home to print your assignments on..I think this is common in the upper middle class neighborhoods. I am not sure what they do in other neighborhoods..This is financial hardship on many families here and it is not possible to have a child in school and not own a computer anymore..So there is really no way for the parents to stop the technology from coming into their homes at this point in time.

Red..

A case could then be made for censorship if it proved hazardous to ones health. Suicide is still illegal but costs the health system less than keeping people on meds or in psych wards, and no one makes money off it. But is that the point. We seem to be trying very hard to self destruct in a rather painful way as anyone with panic attacks can attest. Panic attacks have been around practically since man began to think. But not at the level or occurrence as now. Technology has always had it's evil side and those that will profit from it no matter how much pain it costs. Still people have a right to know so they can make an informed choice. Even if it is the wrong one due to an addiction to their form of technology. We spend so much time repairing rather than preventing. Unless there is money in it. Clean healthy organic food does not cost that much more to produce. It is like everything else a matter of what the market will bare. We have cell phones because we can afford them not because we need them. And we will have them even if they are killing us. It is our right. Besides your taxes pay for my health care.

Davit.
10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Everyone,
I'll bet we get wound up from technology, since I see it as a machine.  I felt this in my later years, and probably could use some manual on how to respond, since profit comes from tweaking the machines, and I became part of that company machine.

I bought some shoes today, and wished to immediately check the internet to compare how I did, since like seems to always be about improving, speeding up, simplifying, cutting costs.  This just feeds my perfectionism, and indecision.

In the book "Active Passive", Edrita Fried speaks of how to conquer anxiety by learning to pause, diagnose danger and continue through problem solving, instead of becoming paralyzed or hyperactive.

Right now I need rest and maybe my imagination will do some of this through some healthy dreaming, after a little meditation and progressive relaxation.  I got a lecture from my dental hygienist, since I didn't get a good report card today

10 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Women earn significantly less then men even when working the same positions; single mothers are one of the most at risk populations for poverty; the vast majority of spousal violence is against women; and sexism, masogyny, and inequality are common in our media, workplaces, drug stores, etc. Some say the beauty industry is waging a war on women. I could go on and on but I agree with you, women are still oppressed. This doesn't take away from how far we have come but we have to recognize there is a problem in order to begin working on a solution.

The effects of technology should be studied in order for us to utilize it in a way to serves us. I think in the case  of this group technology is certainly serving us. That's something positive at least

Ashley, Health Educator
Ashley, you will know more than I do but I think women are still oppressed. More so than when a woman was boss of her house and she had some rights and power. (victorian times). But the man was still boss and could make her life hell. men were paid more but they were also supposed to buy the house and work the rest of their life supporting the woman and the children. Some ended up supporting the pub. 

Single men and women do the same things basically. work, make meals, do laundry etc. Except men have less pressure. A man can stop on his way home by himself for a beer or two and no one thinks he is loose. And he doesn't constantly have to prove himself, although that isn't as bad. I always think of therapists as women and I'm surprised to find male ones. And a lot of them have personal experience, not just book learning. Roles are changing, we are now half male half female in out nursing staff at the hospital here. 
There are even men staying home and taking care of the house while women work. More so if there are children. There is less pressure on men to achieve so the gap may widen even more. While women are pressured more to do just that. Speaking of children there seems to be little difference in their activity till teens. Also have you noticed texting and chatting takes a lot of the pressure off being your sex. It is so impersonal. And I do think this is a big reason for social problems outside the phone or the computer. How do you act when you are used to the other person being an it. 

There can be no studies because what would we do if technology was found to be a culprit. There is too much money in it. It would be like being told we can not have our cars. (cigarets, beer, movies. you name it) We will die first.

Davit.
10 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting discussion Davit.

I have read women are twice as more likely then men to be diagnosed with anxiety disorders. There is research indicating that this could be due to a myriad of reasons (women reporting more, hormones, gender roles, socailization, oppression, economic inequality, etc.). I wonder if there has been any studies on anxiety and technology though. I would be interested in reading this. I have noticed that many younger people text and chat much more then older generations and some people may think this could lead to them developing poor social skills - could this lead to social anxiety? Not sure, but definately interesting to discuss. Thanks for bringing this topic up!

Ashley, Health Educator
Yesterday I had things running around in my head and a song that wouldn't go away. I got on a tractor and did some work. It isn't quiet but the noise belongs there so it doesn't bother me. But it would bother someone who had to listen to it. And thank God there is no back up alarm. People should be able to keep track of what is happening around them without a noise maker to tell them. Trucks on a paving crew take out the fuse so no one has to listen to them as they back and they do a lot of backing. I noticed the packers this summer when they did my road didn't beep but the grader still did. 
I don't have TV or radio in my house, I can't get it. I don't miss it. I do have songs in my computer and I have a DVD player. Noise on my terms. I can hear the hy-way but there are far fewer cars on it than on a freeway. I can here the train but seldom notice it. I will not give up this quiet till I have to. 

Davit.
I rarely have the tv on in the day time. When I watch tv I usually watch the History channel, the Weather channel or KPBS. We ought to cancel our cable because we have a hard time finding anything worth watching on it. We do use our cable internet to search for infor or read up on various stuff..The emailing I do is billing related and I do get a quilting newsletter that I enjoy from Cozy Quilt..I do not text at all and never have..I have it blocked on my phone..My cell is just a cell phone no camera, internet or any of that stuff..I sure hope it doesn't quit. I don't think you can get one without all the crap on it anymore..

I do think there is a connection between the constant bombardment of information  and constant noise..Sometimes this can cause overload and the nightmares in my case..The information highway and the world out there can be very shocking for me at times..Even the radio is sometimes to much..I love the quite and can sit in it for days at a time..I wish we didn't have a freeway right next to use now because the constant noise has made my time outside stressful and it is hard on my nervous system..I loved my time relaxing in the backyard and sitting on the patio in the early morning hours now that has been taken away but I can still go outside around 9 am after it quiets down and on the weekends..I look forward to my quiet time..

Red..

Reading this thread: